Recipe for the Perfect Eggless Birthday Chocolate Cake - moist, chocolaty and absolutely delicious. Perfect to make for birthdays or any other celebration.
It's the final day of the month long mega marathon and I wanted to end it on a sweet note. I made this perfect eggless chocolate cake for my husband's birthday, but the pictures I took looked awful, so I made it again couple of days back.
Recipe for Perfect Eggless Birthday Chocolate Cake:
Coming back to today's chocolate cake, I asked my husband what cake he wanted for his birthday. He started to recount a chocolate cake that one of his friends used to bake. Here's how he described the cake -- it's moist, it's fudgey, it's chocolatey AND it's delicious. I'm sure it was delicious because he remembers it so well after all these years.
So it was quite a challenge for me to find a recipe that matches the one he's been thinking about all these years. After trying quite a few chocolate cake recipes. I hit the jackpot with Hershey's Perfect Chocolate Cake recipe.
Vegan Chocolate Cake:
I made it eggless by using egg replacer powder instead of eggs. The resulting cake was just as good with amazing crumb.
Also instead of using regular milk, I added almond milk in the recipe. This is a great cake recipe to try for anyone who has dietary restrictions.
Easy Cake Recipe:
This is probably the easiest cake to put together, everything goes into 1 bowl. Then whisked, poured into the baking pan and baked into chocolaty goodness. The recipe as written makes 2 9" round cakes or 3-8" round pans or 9"x13" baking pan or 12cup bundt cake or about 30 cupcakes.
Ingredients for Eggless Chocolate Cake:
This recipe has all the basic ingredients to make a chocolate cake:
- Flour - you can all purpose flour but I have added a bit of whole-wheat pastry or barley flour without affecting the texture too much. This makes eating the cake a little less guilty.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder - use a good quality cocoa powder for the best tasting cake.
- Leavening agents - baking powder, baking soda
- Egg replacer powder - used in place of eggs. Flaxseed meal can also be used.
- Oil - use a flavorless oil like canola or vegetable oils.
- Milk - I used almond milk, but feel free to use regular dairy milk.
Perfect Chocolate Frosting:
I topped this moist chocolate cake with the perfect chocolate frosting. Another amazing recipe from Hershey. I thinned the frosting with a little bit more milk to use as a glaze instead of a frosting.
Coming to the taste test, my husband said this cake comes very close to the one he remembers. Both the kids loved it a lot too. I guess my quest for perfect chocolate cake ended and this will be made again and again 🙂
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 51.
Perfect Eggless Birthday Chocolate Cake
For the Perfect Eggless Chocolate Cake:
- 1¾ cups All purpose flour*
- 2 cups Sugar
- ¾ cup Unsweetened Cocoa powder
- 1½ tsps Baking powder
- 1½ tsps Baking soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Almond Milk
- 2 tbsp Egg Replacer whisked in 6tbsp water (or 2 large Eggs)
- ½ cup Oil
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 cup Boiling Water
For Perfect Chocolate Frosting:
- ½ cup Unsalted Butter
- ⅔ cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 2~3 cups Confectioners Sugar
- ⅓ cup Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
Make Chocolate Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 2 9" round cake pans or 12cup bundt cake pan or line 2 12-cup muffin pan with liners.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix until combined.
- Add egg replacer mixture (or whisked eggs), milk, vanilla extract and oil. Beat with a hand mixer for 2 minutes until well mixed. I whisked vigorously with a hand whisk for 3~4 minutes.
- Add the boiling water and mix until combined. The batter will be thin.
- Pour into the prepared pan or pans and bake for 30~35 minutes for the round cake pans, 35~40 minutes for the 9"x13" baking pan, 50~55 minutes-for the 12cup bundt cake pan and 22~25 minutes for the cupcakes.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan and let cool on a wire rack. Cool completely before frosting.
Make Chocolate Frosting:
- Melt butter in a saucepan. Stir in cocoa.
- Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency.
- Add more sugar or milk to adjust the consistency.
- Stir in vanilla. Frost the cakes when completely cooled.
- Part of All purpose flour can be subbed with whole wheat pastry flour or barley flour. Use ½cup of either of these flours and 1¼cups all purpose flour in the recipe without affecting the texture of the cake.
- Frosting can be thick and creamy or thin it out with milk to make a glaze and pour it over the cake. It will thicken and set up nicely once cooled.
Here's few more easy to make eggless Chocolate Cakes to give a try:
A grand recipe to end this month long effort. It is even more special when you have found a recipe that is a keeper.
Cake is very moist and looks delicious. Bookmarked the recipe
My daughter's b'day is coming next month and she loves chocolate. Usually I buy her a birthday cake of her choice but this time I think I know what to do after seeing your recipe. 🙂 It seems like everyone in your family had a great, homemade birthday cake this year. This one too looks gorgeous. Genuinely loved all your bake series this marathon.
Cakes looks so moist..yummsIm having a Bundt Cakes event at my page. Do join in. TQhttp://daily-cuppa.blogspot.com/2015/04/bake-along-challenge-8-bundt-cake.html
This cake is torturing me, cant take my eyes from..Beautiful cake to finish this incredible month of baking.
Wow I would love it if someone ever told me to bake a cake like that...and kudos Pavani what an awesome job. This is actually a super hit cake..I can vouch for it since I have tried it...and after looking at the clicks I just want to grab that slice. It's fantastic. Beautiful end to the marathon.
OMG Pavani, that's perfect way to end this lovely BM..and what a stunning array of dishes you baked for us..and I loved all your themes as well..this perfect cake is simply so perfect!..I remember trying it out and not getting it so well..will have to bake it again and see..:)
as the recipe says - it is perfect!!! awesome chocolate cake..
A fully loaded chocolate cake. look at the color.. wow
Cake looks so so perfect and moist,wish to have a slice..Nice way to end this series.
Yummy chocolate cake/
Omg!! I am happy beyond words! Gorgeous!
How marvelous that cake looks! Too good Pavani 🙂 As always I was drooling at your pictures all month long!
Hi can we use 3/4 c curd to replace eggs?
Hi can we use 3/4 c curd to replace eggs?
Chitra, I have not used yogurt to replace eggs in this recipe, but you can definitely try. From what I've read, use 1/4cup yogurt for 1 egg, so in this recipe, use 1/2cup yogurt. Please let me know how the cake turned out if you try it. Thank you.