Blogging Marathon# 64: Week 3/ Day 1
Theme: Wholewheat Dishes
Dish: Puffed Wheat, Almond and Coconut Granola Bars
Recipe calls for goji berries which I have never used before. I bought some from the bulk section of Whole Foods — they are quite expensive, but they are supposed have many health benefits. If you can’t find them, then use any other fried fruit that you like.
These granola bars are very easy to put together — just mix dry and wet ingredients, bake until set and serve. They are great to eat for breakfast on the go or as a quick afternoon snack. Even my picky 8 year old seemed to like them. They are nutty, chewy and slightly sweet. They keep well for about 3~4 days at room temperature.
Puffed Wheat, Almond & Coconut Granola Bars
- 1¼ cups Wheat Puffed Cereal (or Puffed Barley Cereal)
- 1 cup Oats Old fashioned Rolled
- 2/3 cup berries Dried Goji
- 1/3 cup Almonds , toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup Coconut Unsweetened, flaked
- 1/3 cup Almond Butter
- 1/3 cup Honey
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Sesame Seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9"x9" square baking dish and line with parchment leaving a little overhang for easy removal.
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine almond butter, honey, olive oil, vanilla extract, salt and microwave on high for 1 minute until bubbly.
- In a medium bowl, combine puffed wheat cereal, oats, goji berries, almonds and coconut.
- Pour almond butter mixture over the puffed wheat mixture; toss well to coat.
- Press into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle with sesame seeds, press lightly to adhere.
- Bake for 10~12 minutes or until set. Cool completely in the baking dish before cutting.