We are starting our 3rd week of Blogging Marathon today and my theme for this week 'Combo Dishes'. Valli gave us a list of combo dishes and we have to select 3 and post under this theme. So the first combo I chose is Rajma Chawal.Rajma or red kidney beans cooked with tomatoes and spices is a very filling and hearty dish that is perfect for this time of the year. Served with chawal or rice, there is nothing more comforting than that.
I didn't use a whole lot of spices in the curry since I was cooking for the kids, but you can definitely amp up the spice volume, if that is how you like it 🙂
I used a can of kidney beans since I wasn't really planning to make this dish. If you plan ahead then soak about 1 cup of kidney beans overnight or at least 8~9 hours. Then pressure cook them or boil them until tender. Drain and use as per the recipe.
- 1 15 oz. Red Kidney Beans, rinsed and drained (or about 2 cups of cooked red kidney beans)
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 Small Onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger+garlic paste
- 2 tbsp Tomato paste, or use ½cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp Red Chili powder
- ½ tsp Ground Coriander
- ½ tsp Ground Cumin
- ½ tsp Aamchur powder
- 2 tbsp Cilantro, chopped
- To taste Salt
- 4 cups Cooked Rice
- If you are using dry beans, then soak them overnight or at least 8~9 hours. Pressure cook them or boil them until tender. Drain and keep them ready.
- Heat 2tbsp oil in a pan, add the cumin seeds and once they start to splutter, add the onions and cook till translucent and slightly turning brown around the edges.
- Add ginger+garlic paste and cook for 1 minute stirring constantly.
- Next add tomato paste along with ½ cup water and the dry masala powders (coriander, cumin, aamchur & red chili powder). Mix well, cover and cook till the oil leaves the side, about 5~6 minutes.
- Add the kidney beans along with salt and ½cup more water. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer covered for 10~12 minutes or until the curry thicken slightly. Mash the beans to thicken the curry further.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve over steamed rice.