Blogging Marathon# 28: Week 2/ Day 1
Theme: Mango Special Dishes
Dish: Raw Mango Salad with Moong Dal
We start our 2nd week of Blogging Marathon today and my theme for this week is “Mango Special dishes”. It’s not summer yet in our neck of woods, but nothing can stop us from enjoying mangoes. We get mangoes all round the year but the taste of summer mangoes cannot be beat, in my opinion.
For this week, I have tried 3 new recipes with raw green mangoes that I’ve never made before. I usually make dal or rice or pickle with raw mango. But I wanted to try raw mango in completely different form for this week.
So for the first day I made this raw mango salad with moong dal and grated coconut. I have made salad with ripe mango, but never with raw mango. My husband loves to eat raw mango and this salad was so fresh and refreshing that I couldn’t stop myself from eating it by the spoonfuls.
Raw Mango Salad with Moong Dal (Mango Kosambari)
- 1 Mango Green - medium, grated
- 1 cup Moong dal
- 1 cup Coconut Fresh Grated (I used frozen, thawed grated coconut)
- 2 chilies Green - finely chopped (adjust as per taste)
- 1 Cucumber - medium, peeled and grated
- ¼ cup Cilantro - finely chopped
- to taste Salt
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 2 red chili Dry
- 8 - 10 Curry leaves
- ¼ tsp Asafoetida (hing)
- Soak moongdal for at least 2 hours. Drain the water and add to a bowl.
- Next add grated mango, coconut, green chilies, cucumber, cilantro and salt. Mix well.
- For tempering: Heat 1tsp ghee in a small saucepan; add mustard seeds, dry red chili, hing and curry leaves. Once the seeds start to splutter, add tempering to the salad. Mix well and serve either at room temperature or chilled.