BM# 63: Journey through the Cuisines
Week 3: Gujarati Cuisine
Day 19: S for Sambhariya Shaak
All of my recipes for this week are from Tarla Dala's site. It has been a great resource and I love watching her videos as well. She makes even a hard recipe sound very easy to make.
After seeing lot of Gujarati Sambhariya dishes online, I'm assuming it means a stuffed dish -- correct me if I'm wrong, my gujji friends. So in today's dish, mixed vegetables like tindora (ivy gourd), eggplant, baby potatoes are stuffed and cooked with a yummy coconut stuffing. But the veggies can be easily customized to one's likes and preferences. Pressure cooking makes making this dish a breeze to make -- 2 whistles you have perfectly cooked vegetables. This dish tastes great with rotis or rice.
Recipe from Tarla Dalal.com:
- 10~12 Tendli
- 6 Baby Potatoes, peeled
- 1 Small Sweet potato, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 4 Baby Eggplants
- ¼ tsp Asafoetida/ Hing
For the Stuffing:
- ¼ cup Grated Fresh Coconut
- ½ cup Cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Ground Coriander
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Red Chili powder
- 2 Green Chilies, finely chopped
- 1" Ginger piece, finely grated
- 1 ~ 2 teaspoons Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric
- 2 teaspoons Chickpea flour/ Besan
- To taste Salt
Prep the Veggies:
- Remove the ends of the tendli and make a vertical slit in the middle. Remove the stalks of the eggplant and make a criss-cross slits in the bottom.
Prepare the Stuffing:
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients listed under stuffing. Mix well, taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Stuff the tindora and eggplant with the stuffing. Place the stuffed veggies along with baby potatoes, sweet potatoes and the remaining stuffing in a mixing bowl and mix well.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker, add the asafoetida and cook for a few seconds. Add all the vegetables and the stuffing along with ¼cup water. Mix well and pressure cook for 2 whistles. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Serve hot with rotlis or even rice.
Am ready to finish this ultimate stuffed vegetables just like snacks, fabulous dish Pavani.
What a beautifully done dish Pavani...I always enjoy these stuffed dishes, great choice..and I enjoy this so much..
Its very inviting and tempting. Good one.
Such a simple dish and looks so exotic
Gayathri's Cook Spot
Stuffing veggies with coconut filling sounds very nice. Perfect side for rotis..
That's one flavorful curry Pavani, goes well with rice or roti.
This is such a lovely dish. Never tried a melange of stuffed veggies in a curry.
Almost looks like oondhiyoo and loved the filling too with coconut ! Great pick
Wow! That is such a lovely medley of stuffed veggies.
Now can I have that platter..looks heavenly Pavani. Even I am a great fan of Tarla Dalal recipes.
Yes Pavani, sambhariya is indeed a stuffed vegetable dish. You made it really well. Can I please have the platter for dinner tonight 🙂
Sambhariyu must have tasted yummy with that delicious stuffing.Lovely clicks.
Stuffed veggie curry sounds yummy,great pick for the letter..
Sounds good EXCEPT there is no mention of tendli in the ingredients !
Hi Smita, sorry for missing tendli in the ingredients. I updated recipe card now. Thank you for letting me know about it.
Hello, I think the recipe is good. It is very traditional and is very close to how undhiyu is made. Only thing is the ingredients list should be as correct as possible.