I made this cake first time more than 3 years ago when I first got the sourdough starter. I took it to work and everyone loved it there. But I haven’t had a chance to make it again until now. I saw the recipe in the King Arthur Catalog and it reminded me of the moist and delicious cake that I made years ago.
Sourdough starter makes this cake very moist and there are no tell-tale signs of sourness or the addition of sourdough starter anywhere. I halved the original recipe and made 1 8″ round cake. Then frosted the cake with a very simple cream cheese frosting.
The reason for celebration is that I crossed 1000 postscouple of posts back and this is a sweet treat to myself. I have to thank the BM group and especially Valli, without them the posts would have been random and I would never have reached this milestone.
Recipe adapted from here:
Sourdough Carrot Cake
- ½ cup Sourdough Starter
- 1 cup Sugar
- ¾ cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 Eggs Large
- ½ cup Pineapple Crushed , drained
- 1 cup Carrot Grated
- ¼ cup Walnuts , chopped
- ¼ cup Coconut Shredded
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 cup All purpose flour
- ¼ cup Wholewheat Pastry flour (or use 1¼cup APF)
- 1 tsp Cinnamon Ground
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 2 tbsps Unsalted Butter - softened
- 4 oz Cream cheese . (half of a 8oz. block)
- 1½ cups Sugar Confectioners
- ½ tsp Vanilla extract
- Milk - as needed
- Nuts Chopped - as needed, for garnish
- Make the Cake: Preheat the oven to 350. Lightly grease a 8" round pan that is at least 2" deep.
- In a mixing bowl, combine oil and sugar. Stir in sourdough starter. Mix in eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Fold in pineapple, carrots, walnuts, coconut and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, ground cinnamon, salt and baking soda. Add the dry ingredients to wet ingredients, stirring until the ingredients are just combined.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 30~35 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove cake from the oven and cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
- Make the Cream Cheese Frosting: Beat butter, cream cheese and vanilla extract until light and fluffy. Add the confectioner's sugar gradually until well combined. Add milk, if needed, to get to spreadable consistency.
- Frost the cake and sprinkle the chopped nuts.