Blogging Marathon# 62: Week 3/ Day 1
Theme: Cook with Coconut
Dish: Coconut Masala Rice
First up is a delicious rice made with fresh grated coconut. Recipe is from Suma's blog. I made it a few days after she posted the recipe. It is a spicy version of regular coconut rice with some added masalas as well.
It is great to pack for lunch boxes and is special enough to serve for guests too. My only addition is fried tofu on top to add some protein to the dish. You can even add paneer or cooked chickpeas or other beans instead. It doesn't need any side dish and can be served with some papad and raita or plain yogurt.
Recipe from Veggie Platter:
Masala Coconut Rice
- 1 cup Basmati Rice Cooked
- 2 tsps Cumin Seeds
- 4 pods Cardamom
- 2 1 Cinnamon " sticks
- 3 Cloves
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Onion Medium , finely chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger+garlic paste
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- To taste Salt
For the Masala:
- ½ cup Coconut Fresh
- 3 tbsps Mint leaves
- 3 tbsps Cilantro leaves
- 2 ~ 3 Chilies Green
- 3 tbsps Yogurt
- Tofu Paneer Chickpeas As needed Or or (optional)
- Grind coconut, mint, cilantro, green chilies and yogurt into a smooth paste.
- Cook rice making sure not to make it mushy. Let cool a little bit.
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds, cardamom, cinnamon sticks, cloves and bay leaf. Cook till they are fragrant and then add the onions, ginger+garlic paste. Cook till the onions are translucent, about 3~4 minutes.
- Add the coconut paste and salt and cook for 2~3 minutes.
- Add rice and garam masala; mix gently to evenly combine the masala with the rice. Serve right away.