Blogging Marathon# 61: Week 4/ Day 3
Theme: Bookmarked Recipes from Fellow BM Bloggers
Dish: Tofu Sofritos from Smruthi’s Herbivore Cucina
If you are wondering what Sofritas is, then here’s a nice infographic by Chipotle that explains how cooked and crumbled tofu combined with sofrito (a very popular Latin spice mix) makes this amazing tasting dish that they call Sofritas. I ate sofritas at Chipotle once and was planning to make it at home and then I saw it on Smruthi’s blog, so finally made it myself.
This dish can be used as a filling for any Mexican dish. Use it in tacos, burritos or in burrito bowls. I was snacking on it just as is — it’s spicy and very delicious.
To make the burrito bowl — make some Cilantro lime rice (like this one with quinoa), Beans (either black beans or red kidney beans or pinto beans), Grilled or Roasted vegetables, Guacamole, Salsa (use store bought for convenience).
Recipe from Smruthi’s recipe:
- 1 14 oz firm Tofu . blockExtra
- 1 Onion Small , chopped
- 1 pepper Small Green , chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic , finely minced
- 1 tsp Chipotle chili , chopped
- 1 Poblano Chili Medium , diced
- 2 Tomatoes Medium , chopped
- 1 tsp Oregano Ground
- 1 tsp Taco Seasoning
- 2 tsps Lime juice
- To taste Salt
- 2 tbsps Cilantro , finely chopped
- 1 Jalapeno Small , finely chopped
- Drain the tofu and press it between paper towels with weight placed on top and set aside for 10~15 minute.
- Dry roast poblano in a pan or directly over the flame or under the broiler until the skin is blistered and wrinkled. Place the poblano in a bowl and cover it for 10 minutes. Once cool enough to handle, remove the skin, chop and set aside.
- In a large nonstick pan, heat 2tsp oil and add the diced tofu and cook till it is browned on all sides. Remove into a bowl and crumble it up.
- In the same pan you cooked tofu, heat 2tsp more oil. Add the garlic, jalapeno, green pepper and onion. Cook till the onion turns translucent and the pepper is tender.
- Next add the roasted poblano, chipotle chili and the tomatoes. Cook till the tomatoes are mushy and slightly dried out.
- Season with salt, taco seasoning and ground oregano. Add the crumbled tofu and cook, stirring occasionally, until the flavors mingle.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and squeeze lime juice.