I bought matki (moth beans) to make Sia’s hot & spicy Kohlapuri Misal, but I ended up making this mildly flavored pulao from Tarla Dalal’s site. I love Tarla Dalal and I used to watch her cooking show on Sony TV in India (this was long long time ago). I remember liking the co-host Sudhanshu too.. handsome guy.. ahem.. back to what I was saying about Tarla Dalal, her cooking looks very homemade, nothing fancy and this recipe is simplicity at its best. Just a couple of cloves, grated ginger and ground coriander mildly flavor the rice. Can be served with a paneer curry or even raitha.
- 1 cup Moth Beans – sprouted
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 4 - 6 Spring onions – chopped
- 1 pepper Green – medium, chopped
- 1 Ginger ”
- 1 Green chili
- 2 Cloves
- 1 tsp Coriander Ground
- 1 tsp chili powder Red
- to taste Salt
- Cook basmati and let cool.
- Parboil matki sprouts; I pressure cooked them for 2 whistles and they were perfectly cooked, not mushy at all.
- Heat 1tbsp oil in a sauté pan; add cloves and hing and sauté for a minute. Add ginger, chili, spring onions, green pepper and cook till the veggies are tender.
- Add coriander powder, red chili pd and matki.Sauté for 4-5 minutes until all the flavors have mingled.
- If using parboiled moth beans, then add ½ cup of water and cook till the beans are tender.
- Once the beans are tender, add rice and salt; mix well and serve.