Valentine's Day is tomorrow and I'm joining some amazing bloggers to spread some love through #Foodbloggerlove. It's an annual event hosted by the lovely bloggers at Pinter Test Kitchen. I made some Vegan Banana Split cupcakes to celebrate the day and the event. I got assigned to Nichole who blogs at Cookaholic Wife. She has a lovely blog with tons of delicious recipes. I have quite a few recipes that I bookmarked from her blog -- like this savory bundt bread or this healthy Banana chocolate chip cookies or these cute little melted snowmen cookies and many many more.So for the #Foodbloggerlove, we were asked to pick a dish from the blogger we were assigned to and either make it as it is or tweak it to meet our dietary requirements. I wanted to make a cupcake and after looking through her amazing line up of cupcakes, I decided to make her Banana Split cupcakes eggless and vegan.My vegan banana split cupcake recipe is from Vegan cupcakes take over the world cookbook. These are basically vegan banana cupcakes that have some pineapple preserves and finely chopped dark chocolate swirled right in. They are then topped with whipped cream (I used coconut whipped cream, to keep it vegan), chocolate ganache and a maraschino cherry.These cupcakes are perfect for any celebration and kids will love them. Skip the pineapple preserves if you don't have it on hand, you will still be able to make some really amazing cupcakes. These are moist and absolutely delicious.If you would like to join in the fun next year, sign up by becoming a member of our Facebook group. Here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/foodbloggerlove/
[inlinkz_linkup id=691572 mode=1]
Vegan Banana Split Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes:
- 1¼ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup Oil
- ⅔ cup Non-dairy Milk (I used cashew milk)
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp Almond extract
- ½ cup Very ripe Banana, mashed
- ½ cup Pineapple preserves
- ¼ cup Dark Chocolate, finely chopped
For the Frosting:
- As Needed Whipped Coconut cream (or whipped heavy cream)
- 2 tbsp Confectioners Sugar
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
For the Ganache:
- ¼ cup Soy Creamer (or heavy cream)
- ½ cup Dark Chocolate chips
- As needed Maraschino Cherries, drained
- As needed Sprinkles
Make the Cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a cupcake pan with paper liners.
- In a small saucepan, stir the pineapple preserves over low heat until melted and pourable. Set aside.
- Blend the banana into a very smooth paste and keep ready.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- In another bowl, combine oil, milk, vanilla, almond extracts and mashed banana. Mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not over-mix.
- Fill the cupcake liners ⅔rds full. Top the batter of each cupcake with 1tsp melted preserves and 1tsp chopped chocolate. With a small knife, carefully stir each cupcake 2~3 times to swirl in preserves and chocolate.
- Bake for 20~24 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool the cupcakes completely on a wire rack before frosting.
Make the Frosting:
- Combine whipped cream, confectioners sugar and vanilla extract. Once the cupcakes have cooled, pipe using a round tip onto the cupcakes. Refrigerate the cupcakes for at least 30 minutes.
Make the Ganache:
- In a small saucepan, bring the creamer to a slight simmer. Stir in the chocolate chips and stir until smooth. Let cool while the cupcakes chill.
- Pour the ganache over the whipped cream frosting and top with a cherry and sprinkles.