These Best Vegan double chocolate brownies are moist and fudgy. Unsweetened cocoa powder and dark chocolate chips make them very chocolaty & decadent.
For the final day of this week’s Blogging Marathon, I made a moist and fudgy vegan brownies. Vegan is the theme of the week and I wanted to finish the week on a sweet note. Recipe is from Vegan Food52 cookbook and has been on my to-try list for quite some time now.
Vegan Double Chocolate Brownies:
I’ve made vegan brownies with tofu years ago. But they were not received very well by the family. To put it mildly, I was told to never make them AGAIN.
Since then I’ve stopped baking ‘healthy’. I bake regular recipes not too often and always make sure that we exercise portion control.
Ingredients for Vegan Brownies:
These vegan double chocolate brownies are not considered healthy by any means. But they are made with 100% vegan ingredients:
- Almond milk - feel free to use any other non-dairy milk
- Organic Cane sugar - refined sugar is filtered and bleached with bone-char. Hence it is neither vegetarian nor vegan. Look for brands that specifically say, vegan friendly or buy beet sugar.
- Vegan chocolate chips.
I like my brownies more cakier than fudgy. These turned exactly how I like them - very moist, cakey and delicious. Serve them as is with a glass of milk or with some vegan ice cream on top.
Vegan Double Chocolate Brownies
- 1 tbsp Ground Flaxseeds
- 2 tbsp Lukewarm Water
- 1½ cups All purpose flour (sub with ½cup wholewheat pastry flour)
- 1¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup Unsweetened Cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp Instant Espresso
- 1¼ cups Unsweetened Almond Milk (or any other non-dairy milk)
- ½ cup Oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup Chocolate Chips
- ½ cup Walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 8" square pan with parchment that has an overhang for easy removal from the pan. Lightly grease with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk water and ground flaxseeds, set aside until thick.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt and espresso powder.
- In a measuring cup, whisk together the almond milk, oil, vanilla extract and flax seed mixture. Add to the flour mixture, along with the chocolate chips and walnuts, stir until just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 45~55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool for 20~30 minutes before cutting into squares and serving. Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days.