Blogging Marathon# 58: Week 1/ Day 2
Theme: Bring on your Rice
Dish: Vegetable Makhani Rice
Here the makhani gravy is mixed with basmati rice to make this creamy and delicious rice that is equally good to serve at dinner parties or as a quick weeknight meal. Recipe is from a Telugu cooking show.
The original recipe only used mixed vegetables, but I decided to add some chickpeas to add some protein and make the dish more wholesome. Alternately paneer or tofu can also be added instead of chickpeas. Serve with raita and chips for a delicious meal.
Vegetable Makhani Rice
- 1 Rice cupBasmati
- 1 cup Tomato puree (boil and grind 3~4 medium tomatoes to a paste)
- 2 Chilies Green
- 1 tsp Ginger+garlic paste
- 1 ~ 2 tsps Kashmiri Chili powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 2 tsps Methi Kasoori , crushed
- 2 tbsps Butter
- 2 tbsps Heavy Cream
- To taste Salt
- Melt butter in a large saute pan, add shahjeera and once the seeds start to splutter, add green chilies, ginger+garlic paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the mixed vegetables and saute for 4~5 minutes.
- Next add the tomato puree, Kashmiri chili powder, garam masala, kasoori methi and salt. Cover and cook for 5~6 minutes.
- Stir in the cream and cook till heated through, about 1 minute.
- Finally add the basmati rice and gently stir to combine. Cover and cook for 2 minutes. Serve hot with raita and Enjoy!!