Vegetarian Pizza Soup is a delicious tomato soup packed with your favorite pizza ingredients. Topped with a cheesy baguette crouton, this soup is sure to be a winner.
For day 2 of this week’s blogging marathon I took my daughters help to come up with a soup recipe that they want to eat. She ended up choosing Vegetarian Pizza soup because of course pizza is a food group for my kids.This soup has all the flavors of your favorite pizza. So feel free to add all your favorite pizza toppings and that could be anything from veggies to meat based on your taste and dietary preferences.
What is Pizza Soup:
This dish has 2 components: First is the soup which is basically tomato based with the addition of pizza flavorings and ingredients. You are free to customize it with ingredients that you enjoy on your pizza. My kids love mushrooms, spinach, peppers and onion on their pizza - so I added those into the soup.The second component is the cheesy baguette crouton. What’s a pizza without the bread? The cheesy, chewy ‘crouton’ is great to dunk into the pizza to sop up all that delicious soup.
Some other ideas:
Make this vegetarian pizza soup rich by adding a splash of almond or coconut creamer (half-n-half or heavy cream for non-vegan option). The pizza tomato soup can be made ahead and chilled for 2-3 days or frozen for up to 3 months. Don’t add the creamer if freezing though. Add it while warming the soup just before serving. Slurp and enjoy!!
Don’t forget to check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked up today for BM# 106.
Vegetarian Pizza Soup
For the Soup:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 Large Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 cup Brown or White Mushrooms, chopped
- 1 Medium Green Pepper, chopped
- 2 cups Baby Kale or Spinach, finely chopped*
- 1 14 oz. can of Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Tomato Ketchup
- Pinch of sugar
- 4 cups Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning (or a mixture of dried oregano, basil & thyme)
- To taste Salt Pepper
For the 'Pizza' croutons:
- 1 Small French Bread Baguette
- Pinch of Dried Oregano
- Pinch of Crushed Red pepper flakes
- 12 Mini Mozzarella balls
- As needed Pitted black olives
Make the Soup:
- Heat oil in a sauce pan; add onions, garlic and saute till the onions turn translucent, about 3~4 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, green pepper and kale; cook till the veggies are tender, about 6~8 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, ketchup, sugar, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20~25 minutes. If using spinach, then add it during the last 5~7 minutes of simmering of the soup. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
Make the 'Pizza' Croutons:
- Place bread slices on a parchment lined baking sheet. Top each with cheese and sprinkle oregano and crushed red pepper flakes. Broil for 2~3 minutes or until cheese is melted and bread is toasted.
- Divide the soup in bowls and top with cheesy 'pizza' croutons and Enjoy!!
- If using kale, add them to the pan along with the veggies.
- But if using spinach, then add it to the soup while the soup is simmering.