BM# 63: Journey through the Cuisines
Week 4: Kerala Cuisine
Day 22: V for Vellarikka Curry
This Kerala cucumber curry is a simple side dish made with ground coconut and yogurt sauce. With all these coconut based Kerala dishes I probably ate more coconut in a week than I normally would in a month. I'm not complaining though, it's just that we don't use this much coconut in our everyday cooking. On another note, adding coconut to diet has many health benefits like improving heart health, improves digestion, quick energy boost and so on.
I used English cucumber to make this curry, but you can use any other cucumber you want. Served with rice and dal, this makes for a filling and delicious meal.
Recipe from Yummy O Yummy:
- 2 Cucumber Medium , peeled (or not) and diced
- 3 ~ 4 Chilies Green , slit
- ¼ tsp Turmeric
- To taste Salt
- ½ cup Coconut Grated
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 tsps Coconut Oil
- ½ tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 ~ 2 Red chili Dry
- 8 ~ 10 Curry leaves
- Red Onion shallots Small or , finely chopped
- 2 ~ 3 tbsps Yogurt , whisked
- Grind coconut and cumin seeds into a smooth paste. Set aside.
- In a pan, combine cucumber, green chilies, turmeric, salt and ½cup of water; bring to a boil and simmer till cucumber is tender, about 10~12 minutes.
- Stir in the ground coconut mixture and cook for 3~4 minutes for the flavors to mingle. Taste and adjust the salt accordingly. Take off the heat.
- In another small pan, heat the coconut oil, add mustard seeds and dry red chili. Once the seeds splutter, add curry leaves and onions. Cook for 3~4 minutes or until the onions are golden brown.
- Add the onions to the curry along with the whisked yogurt, mix well. Serve with rice.