BM# 63: Journey through the Cuisines
Week 4: Kerala Cuisine
Day 22: V for Vellarikka Curry
This Kerala cucumber curry is a simple side dish made with ground coconut and yogurt sauce. With all these coconut based Kerala dishes I probably ate more coconut in a week than I normally would in a month. I'm not complaining though, it's just that we don't use this much coconut in our everyday cooking. On another note, adding coconut to diet has many health benefits like improving heart health, improves digestion, quick energy boost and so on.
I used English cucumber to make this curry, but you can use any other cucumber you want. Served with rice and dal, this makes for a filling and delicious meal.
Recipe from Yummy O Yummy:
- 2 Cucumber Medium , peeled (or not) and diced
- 3 ~ 4 Chilies Green , slit
- ¼ tsp Turmeric
- To taste Salt
- ½ cup Coconut Grated
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 tsps Coconut Oil
- ½ tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 ~ 2 Red chili Dry
- 8 ~ 10 Curry leaves
- Red Onion shallots Small or , finely chopped
- 2 ~ 3 tbsps Yogurt , whisked
- Grind coconut and cumin seeds into a smooth paste. Set aside.
- In a pan, combine cucumber, green chilies, turmeric, salt and ½cup of water; bring to a boil and simmer till cucumber is tender, about 10~12 minutes.
- Stir in the ground coconut mixture and cook for 3~4 minutes for the flavors to mingle. Taste and adjust the salt accordingly. Take off the heat.
- In another small pan, heat the coconut oil, add mustard seeds and dry red chili. Once the seeds splutter, add curry leaves and onions. Cook for 3~4 minutes or until the onions are golden brown.
- Add the onions to the curry along with the whisked yogurt, mix well. Serve with rice.
Such a lovely curry Pavani...I enjoy all kerala dishes...and we use lot of coconut in our diet..not sure which influence it is..:)
Am a big fan of cucumber so defly trying this soon ! I will probably skip d coconut oil .. Great pick, Pavani p
I once tried a cucumber curry with yogurt from a cookbook and it was flop. I should try this curry next time. Yummy!!
The curry looks simple yet full of flavors, I have never used cucumber in curries, should try it.
Seriously cucumber curry sounds prefect to make while the weather is too hot, and love the addition of coconut here.
This vellarikai pachadi is must on onam sadya day. I prepare this very often as its easy to make. love this pachadi.
I haven't tried cooking cucumbers this way and have to try it in a spicy version. I love coconut but I find these dishes really bland to my taste.
Gayathri's Cook Spot
I use a lot of coconut in cooking. This vellarikka curry looks so delicious..
This curry sounds very flavorful with all the coconut in there!
Looks delicious Pavani, bookmarked.
I haven't cooked with cucumbers.This curry looks inviting and I am tempted to cook them.Lovely choice.
Wow, I have never used cucumber in anything but salads. Such a lovely curry you got there!!