BM# 75: A-Z Bake Around the World: Day 22
Bake of the Day: V for Victoria Sandwich Cake
Today I have a cake that Queen Victoria is known to enjoy with her afternoon cake. It is Victoria Sandwich cake aka Victoria Sponge or Victoria Cake. It is a quintessential English tea time treat. This cake typically consists of 2 layers of sponge cake sandwiched with raspberry jam and whipped cream. Even though this cake sounds very simple, it is very sensitive to the baking times and temperatures. The sponge cake needs to be tender enough to melt in the mouth but at the same time sturdy enough to hold its structure with the jam and whipped cream. Add to the complexity I wanted to make this cake eggless.
Because there's no icing on this cake, there is no way to hide the imperfections. So the cake needs to be baked just right. I used this eggless cake recipe to make the sponge here. This recipe yields a cake that is moist and with a beautiful crumb. The cake absorbs the jam and the whipped cream and gets slightly soft. I was in a hurry to take the photos because I baked the cake in the late afternoon and I wanted to assemble it before the sun sets. My cakes were still a little warm when I sandwiched them and the whipped cream sort of oozed out and got a little melty. It tasted OK when eaten right away, but the chilled cake after it got a chance to soften, tasted amazing.This is a simple cake that needs just a few ingredients and has a WOW factor. My kids love it and have been eating it as their afternoon snack for the past couple of days.Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 75.
[inlinkz_linkup id=693909 mode=1]
Victoria Sandwich Cake
For the Cake:
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup Oil
- 1¼ cup sugar
- 1 cup Condensed Milk
- 1½ cup Almond Milk
- ½ cup Raspberry Jam
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup Confectioners Sugar
Make the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and line 2 8" round cake pans with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, sieve flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine oil (or melted and cooled butter) and sugar, beat until the mixture turns light, about 3~4 minutes. Add condensed milk and beat again until well combined.
- Add ⅓rd of the flour mixture to the oil mixture and mix until combined. Add ½ of the milk and mix well.
- Next add another ⅓rd of the flour mixture, mix and add the remaining milk.
- Finally add the remaining flour and mix well until combined.
- Divide the batter evenly into the prepared pan and bake in the preheated oven for 30~35 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. If the cake seems to be browning too fast, then either cover the pan with aluminum foil.
- Let the cakes cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Then remove onto a wire rack to cool completely.
To make Victoria Sandwich Cake:
- Whip the heavy cream and confectioners sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Place one of the cakes on a cake stand and spread with the jam. Top the jam with whipped cream and spread evenly.
- Top with the second cake. Press lightly. Sprinkle confectioners sugar on top and serve. Refrigerate the leftovers for up to 3~4 days.
This cake looks truly fit for the Queen. So rich with condensed milk and almond milk, not to mention cream!! Beautiful cake.
Wow ! Simply wow !
Perfectly baked cake , absolutely no flaws !
I must try this one , I had this cake on my mind but it was hard to get a perfect Eggless recipe , and here you are!
I surely agree with people saying 'your unknown secret wishes are all fulfilled by God ' . Seriously !
Damn delicious cake, how pretty this cake looks, as you told with simple ingredients this cake is definitely a WOW factor.
We food blogges always chase sunlight naa.. I have had few mishaps while chasing the light. 🙂 But nevertheless the cake looks delicious and awesome.
Amazing looking cake. The texture looks amazing.
Awesome Pavani, I am making this very soon now..thanks for taking the pain to make it eggless..hehehe..makes the tast easy for me!..the cake is a stunner no doubt!
Wow the sponge cake looks amazing. It came out so perfect. Love the sliced picture.
Stunning looking cake. ITs perfect.
That is definitely a cake fit for the royals. How simple and elegant the cakes looks and it can be a perfect centerpiece for a gathering.