Blogging Marathon# 32: Letter Y
Theme: A-Z Vegetarian Dishes of Andhra Pradesh
Dish: Yakhni Pulao (Hyderabadi Vegetable Yakhni Pulao)
This is a mild tasting rice dish and needs to be served with a spicy gravy curry on the side. A simple onion raita will also go very well.
For the Stock:
- 5 cups Water
- 1 Carrot - small, chopped
- 1 Onion - small, chopped
- 1 tbsp Coriander seeds
- 3 Cloves
- 3 Elaichi
- 2 Cinnamon " stick
For the Rice:
- 2 cups Basmati Rice
- 1 Onion - small, finey chopped
- 1 Carrot - medium, thinly sliced
- 1 cup Cauliflower - , cut into florets
- ½ cup Green Beans - thinly sliced
- ½ cup Green Peas
- 1 tsp Ginger-garlic paste
- 1 cup Yogurt - whisked well
- to taste Salt
- 1 Onion - medium, thinly sliced
- ½ cup Mint - finely chopped
- ½ cup Cilantro - finely chopped
- Make the Stock: Put shahjeera, coriander seeds, cloves, elaichi and cinnamon stick in a cheesecloth and form a small bouquet. Combine all the ingredients under 'Stock' along with the bouquet in a medium sauce pan. Bring the mixture to a boil and simmer on medium flame for 10~12 minutes. Drain the veggies and reserve the stock,
- Make Caramelized Onions: Heat 2tbsp oil and fry the thinly sliced onions until browned around the edges and slightly caramelized. Set aside until ready to use.
- Make the Rice: In a heavy bottomed pan; heat 3tbsp oil and add the onions and saute until translucent. Add ginger-garlic paste and cook for 1 minute. Then add the chopped veggies and cook covered until they turn tender, about 5~7minutes.
- Add the whisked yogurt and mix well. Add 4cups of stock, bring the mixture to a boil, cover and simmer on medium-low flame until the water is evaporated and the rice is tender. Add more water if rice is not cooked. Turn off the heat and set aside covered for 5~10minutes, before serving.
G for Gongura Pulihora
H for Haleem/ Vegetarian Haleem
I for Iguru/ Vankaya-Senagapappu Iguru
J for Jonna Pindi Kudumulu K for Kakarakaya Podi Kura L for Lauju/ Laskora (Kobbari Lauju) M for Menthi kura Pappu N for Nuvvulu-Mamidikaya Pachadi O for Onion Pachadi P for Pindi Miriyam Q for Qabooli Biryani R for Ragi-Barley Sankati S for Sheer Qurma T for Thelega Pindi Kura U for Upma-Pesarattu V for Veg Dum Biryani W for Wadiyala Pulusu X for Xperience Hyderabadi Irani Samosa & Chai X for Xperience Hyderabadi Irani Samosa & Chai