BM# 68-Cooking Carnival: Day 21
Theme of Week 4: Bread based Street Foods
Zapiekac means 'to bake' in Polish and is a culinary term for casserole. This is a baked sandwich, that is traditionally made with French bread that is stuffed with sauteed mushrooms and topped with cheese and a generous drizzle of ketchup. But there are some new flavors like Hawaiian-style with pineapple, Greek-style with olives and feta cheese, Italian-style and many more.
I kept it simple and traditional with mushrooms and optional onions. If you so feel like it, add some roasted vegetables or sauteed veggies to the filling to make it even more substantial. All in all, this is a simple and filling sandwich that all mushroom lovers will enjoy.
We are almost at the end of this month's mega marathon, so after ancient grains, whole grains, veggies in snacks, bread in street food, can you guess what the ingredient is going to be for next week?
- 1 Bread Small French
- 1 cup Mushrooms , finely chopped
- 1 Onion Small , finely chopped (optional)
- 1 Pepper Small Green , finely chopped (optional)
- 2 cloves Garlic , finely minced
- To taste Salt Pepper and
- ½ cup Cheddar Cheese , grated
- Chives As needed, , finely chopped
- Ketchup As needed,
- Heat oil in a pan, add garlic and onions (if using) and cook till onions turn translucent.
- Next add the mushrooms and green pepper. Cook till both the veggies are tender. Season with Salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Slice the bread in half and scoop out some of the crumbs from inside. Place the mushroom mixture on the bread and top with grated cheese. Place it on a baking sheet and bake for 5~8 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from the oven and drizzle with ketchup and sprinkle with the chives. Serve and enjoy!!