Korean BBQ Tofu Tacos are easy to make, spicy and very addictive.
Starting a new week of blogging marathon today and my theme for this week is 'Pick a protein and post recipes with it'. I chose tofu as my protein and have 3 delicious and different recipes this week. First up is an easy to make and addictive recipe, Korean Tofu BBQ Tacos.Tofu is one of our family favorite ingredient. I don't exactly how that happened, but both my picky eaters enjoy tofu too. They love to snack on crispy sauteed or baked tofu. I have started making a lot of paneer based dishes vegan by using tofu. Palak tofu happens to be a family favorite 🙂I had initially planned to make this Korean Tofu BBQ Tacos for last month's mega marathon. It was on my 'Street Food' list, but didn't get a chance to make these then. Korean style tacos have become quite popular in the past few years. This Korean-Mexican fusion dish are sold at food trucks and I have been planning to make them for quite some time now.
Korean style tacos are generally made with meat but tofu is a great vegan substitute to use in this recipe. I used Sara Moulton's Korean Tofu BBQ Tacos recipe. Tofu is marinated in gojuchang (Korean red pepper paste), maple syrup and sesame oil. When baked tofu gets crispy, golden and very addictive.To serve, charred corn tortillas are smeared with sriracha mayo, then topped with the baked tofu, kimchi (homemade or store-bought) and baby spinach. This dish is spicy, sweet, salty and absolutely delicious. Try this recipe, I am sure you will love it.
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 88.
Korean Tofu BBQ Tacos
For Baked BBQ Tofu:
- 1 lb. Extra firm Tofu, drained and pressed
- 2 tbsp Gojuchang (Korean Red pepper paste)
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- To taste Salt Pepper
For Sriracha Cream:
- ½ cup Vegan Mayonnaise (I used Just Fab brand Mayo)
- 2 tbsp sriracha sauce
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Scallion, finely chopped
- To taste Salt Pepper
- 8 6" Round Corn Tortilla
- As needed Vegan Kimchi (homemade or store bought)
- As needed Baby Spinach or Baby Arugula
- As needed Sesame seeds (optional)
Make Korean BBQ Tofu:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut tofu into strips about ½" thick and 2~3" long.
- Combine gojuchang, maple syrup, sesame oil, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Mix well and add tofu; toss gently to coat evenly with the marinade. Set aside for 15~20 minutes.
- Transfer the tofu strips onto the prepared baking sheet, making sure that the strips don't touch each other. Bake for 15~18 minutes, flip them around midway to evenly bake., until tofu is golden brown and crispy. Remove from the oven and keep ready.
Make Sriracha Cream:
- Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl. Mix well and keep ready.
- Char the corn tortilla directly on the stove and keep them warm covered in a kitchen towel.
- Spread about 1tbsp sriracha cream on each tortilla, top it with bbq tofu strips, baby spinach, kimchi and sesame seeds. Serve immediately and ENJOY!!
We all love tofu and this bbq tofu taco looks just amazing to try for my tofu loving family.