Potato Latkes (Eggless vegan recipe) with Chunky Applesauce
Blogging Marathon# 38: Week 3/ Day 3
Theme: One Dish, Different Countries
Dish: Iranian/ Jewish -- Potato Latkes
- Grate potato and onion using the large holes on the grater. I read somewhere that the acid in onions stops discoloration of potatoes. Alternately you can use the food processor to shred the veggies -- this will be helpful when working with a larger batch.
- Place the grated veggies in a colander that is inturn placed on a plate or bowl to catch the excess liquid.
- Use your hands to squeeze as much as liquid as you can from the grated potato & onions. Collect the drained liquid and let it stand for a few minutes so that the potato starch settles in the bottom.
- Add the squeezed out potato & onions to a mixing bowl. Add the other ingredients and the potato starch. Mix well.
- Heat 2tbsp oil in a nonstick pan; scoop ¼cup of potato mixture into the skillet and spread it a little bit. Cook on medium flame until the bottom is golden. Press with spatula lightly to crisp up the edges. Flip gently and continue cooking until golden and crispy on the second side.
- Remove the pancakes onto an inverted wire rack that is placed on a paper lined plate. Serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from Vegetarian Times.
Chunky Apple Sauce
- Heat 2tsp oil in a saute pan on medium-high flame; add apples and cook for 2 minutes. Then add the ground cinnamon and cloves, mix well. Cover, lower the heat to medium-low and cook for 15~20 minutes.
- Add 1~2tbsp water and break the apples lightly. Uncover and cook for 10 more minutes or until the applesauce thickens.
- Stir in sugar and cook for 2 more minutes or until the sugar has dissolved.
- Finally add the lemon juice and turn off the heat. Cool completely and store in the fridge for later use.