I'm starting this month's series on a sweet note with this delicious Bengali delicacy 'Aam Doi' or 'Mango flavored sweetened yogurt'. It is a variation of Mishti doi. I followed the recipe from Sandeepa's blog and it turned out just perfect.
Mango puree is whisked with yogurt, evaporated milk, condensed milk and then baked off until set. It is then chilled before serving. I used canned mango puree because mangoes were not in the stores when I made this couple of months ago. But if you have fresh mangoes, peel, puree and use that instead.
This is such a creamy and delicious dessert. I was surprised that my picky 8 year old loved it too. I'll be making this often this summer for sure.
- ½ cup Mango Puree (made from fresh mangoes or canned mango puree)
- ½ cup Condensed Milk
- ½ cup Milk Evaporated (I used 2%)
- ½ cup Greek Yogurt (I used 2%)**
- Pistachios As needed , thinly sliced
- Strands Saffron Few
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Keep 4 6~8oz. ramekins ready. Also keep a baking pan filled with about 1" water ready.
- In a mixing bowl, combine mango puree, condensed milk, evaporated milk and Greek yogurt. Whisk until well combined.
- Taste and add more mango puree or condensed milk as needed.
- Divide the mixture evenly among the ramekins. Sprinkle few saffron strands on each. Place them in the baking pan with water and carefully place it in the oven.
- Bake for 30~35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool. Then transfer to the refrigerator and chill for at least 4 hours or overnight. Serve cold garnished with pistachios.