Crispy and delicious Asian style Baked Tofu that is great for rice bowls, salads & sandwiches.
For the final day of this week’s blogging marathon under ‘Pick a protein’ theme, I have a baked tofu recipe. This crispy tofu is very addictive and is great to serve on rice bowls, salads, sandwiches and as snack. Here I have served it over rice along with sauteed kale, grated carrot and a yummy tahini dressing.
Tofu is like a blank slate – it absorbs every flavor that is added to it. In this recipe, Asian condiments – sriracha, soy sauce, ginger and garlic are used. But you can change up the condiments and make different flavored tofu using the same technique. Recipe for this baked tofu is from ‘the Kitchn’ site.
I used this baked tofu in this tofu-broccoli salad that I posted last month. If you prefer crispy tofu, then toss it with cornstarch just before baking. I have to stop myself from snacking on these as they are very very addictive. If I have a dish in mind to use them in, I usually double the recipe otherwise I won’t have enough. Do try this, I am sure you will love it as much as I do.
Baked Tofu & Rice Bowl
For the Tofu:
- 1 lb. Extra Firm Tofu, drained and pressed for at least 15 minutes
- 1 tbsp Corn Starch (optional, but recommended for crispy baked tofu)
- 2 tbsp Sriracha
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Water
- 1 tbsp Sesame Oil
- 2 tsp Ginger
- 2 Garlic cloves, finely minced
- To taste Salt & Pepper
For the Rice Bowl:
- 2 cups Cooked Brown or White Rice
- 1 cup Carrot, grated
- 2 cups Kale, chopped and sauteed
- As needed Sesame seeds
- ¼ cup Tahini
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Sriracha sauce (optional)
- 1 tbsp Soy sauce (low sodium preferred)
- To taste Salt & Pepper
- Combine all the ingredients for the marinade: sriracha sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar, water, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Cut the tofu into bite size pieces.
- Add tofu to the marinade and gently toss to evenly coat the pieces. Set aside for 15~30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer tofu onto the parchment paper. Sprinkle corn starch all over and toss gently to coat. Spread tofu in a single layer and bake for 20~30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes to bake evenly.
- Remove baked tofu from the oven and let cool.
- Combine all the ingredients for ingredients for the dressing in a bowl. Whisk well, taste and adjust the seasoning.
Make Rice Bowl:
- In a serving bowl, add ½cup rice, top it with baked tofu, sauteed kale, grated carrot, sesame seeds (if using) and the dressing. Serve and Enjoy!!