Black bean and veggie soup is a hearty and comforting dish that is great to make on snowy day. It is a perfect dump anything as you go recipe.
We are starting a new week of Blogging Marathon today and my theme for this week is ‘Warm Soups & Stews’. It is definitely soup weather here in CO – we already had 3 snows this season and it’s not even winter yet. So today I have a hearty black bean and veggie soup that I made on one of the snow days.
Growing up I was not a big soup eater and it took me a while to actually start making soups in my own kitchen. Thankfully my kids enjoy soups, chilis quite a bit, so I’ve started trying recipes for them. They especially like this hearty sweet potato quinoa chili and noodle soups.
Perfect Soup for Snow days or rainy days:
As I said I made this soup with black beans and veggies on a snowy day. Kids wanted tortilla soup but we didn’t have tortillas or tortilla chips. We were not really prepared for 2 days of snow and didn’t have a well stocked fridge. So I used the veggies and other pantry ingredients I had on hand. This is a perfect dump anything want to use up kind of recipe.
Pantry Ingredients to make Black Bean Soup:
I always keep canned tomatoes and beans in my pantry for quick meals like this. Even though using dried beans is economical, canned beans are convenient especially when you are short on time. Ground cumin and dried oregano give this vegetarian black bean soup a delicious earthy flavor.
Use good quality veggie broth (preferably low-sodium), to get nice depth of flavor without actually simmering the soup for too long. I always have veggie broth in the pantry too, which made my 3 soup recipes for this week a breeze to make.
How to Serve the Soup:
Serve this hearty vegetable and black bean soup warm with tortilla chips, grated cheese, sour cream, lime/ lemon wedges and avocado (another ingredient I wish I had). Slurp and Enjoy!!
Sending this to Srivalli’s Kid’s Delight event, themed on Pizzas and Pastas. Don’t forget to check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked up today for BM# 106.
Black Bean Veggie Soup
For the Soup:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 Small Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 Jalapeno, finely chopped
- 1 Small Green Pepper, chopped
- 1 Small Yellow or Orange Pepper, chopped
- 2 Medium Potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 Small Zucchini, diced
- 1 14 oz. can of Fire roasted Tomatoes (or use chopped tomatoes)
- 2 14 oz. of Black Beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- ½~1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp Ground Oregano
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup Fresh or Frozen Corn
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- To taste Salt Pepper
- As needed Tortilla chips, crushed
- 3 tbsp Cilantro, finely chopped
- Heat oil in a medium soup pan, add onions, garlic and jalapeno. Cook till onions turn translucent, about 3~5 minutes.
- Add the peppers, potatoes and zucchini; cook for 3~4 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, black beans, ground cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Next add the broth and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer the soup for 20~25 minutes or until the veggies are very tender. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Serve warm topped with tortilla chips, cilantro and Enjoy!!
- Other Veggies that can be added: Sweet potato, butternut squash, pumpkin etc.