This vegetarian chili with sweet potatoes, quinoa and black beans is spicy and delicious. It is a hearty and filling one pot meal.
For the final day of this week’s marathon I made a hearty and comforting chili with sweet potato, quinoa and black beans. This is a one pot meal that is great to make on a weeknight too.
Sweet potato is a tuberous root with a smooth skin with different colors like yellow, orange, red, brown, purple and beige. Even the color of the flesh differs from one variety to the other from beige, through white, red, orange and purple.
Something new that I learnt is that the sweet potatoes with white or pale yellow flesh are less sweet and moist than those with red or orange flesh.
Other Vegetarian Sweet Potato Recipes:
Chili with Sweet Potato and Quinoa:
Today’s dish is a spicy and delicious chili. Idea for this dish came from a meal we had at Ikea. Ikea has been serving some amazing vegetarian dishes recently including veggie meatballs. They serve the meatballs with hearty sweet potato-quinoa chili and steamed veggies.
I tried to recreate the same at home. I made it spicy, but toned down the spices for a milder dish. Sweet potato and quinoa cook around the same time making this a delicious one pot meal which can be made in about 30~45 minutes.
Originally Posted in February, 2016. Updated on November 13, 2019.
Sweet Potato Quinoa Chili
- 2 Medium Sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup Quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 Medium Onion, diced
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 cup Black beans, Cooked
- 1 cup Tomato puree
- 2½ ~ 3 cups Vegetable stock or Water
- ½ ~ 1 tsp Chili powder (adjust as per taste)
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin (adjust as per taste)
- ¼ ~ ½ tsp Cayenne Pepper (adjust as per taste)
- To taste Salt & Pepper
- 3 tbsp Cilantro, finely chopped
- As needed (for serving) Tortilla Chips
- 1 Avocado, peeled and diced (for garnish)
- As needed Shredded Cheese
- As needed Sour Cream
- Heat 1tbsp olive oil in a medium saucepan, add onion, garlic and cook for 3~4 minutes or until the onion turns translucent.
- Next add the tomato puree, chili powder, ground cumin and cayenne pepper. Cook for 4~5 minutes.
- Add chopped sweet potatoes, stir well and cook for few minutes.
- Next add the drained quinoa, vegetable stock or water, black beans, salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil; lower the heat, cover the pot and cook for 18~20 minutes or until quinoa is cooked through and sweet potato is tender.
- If the chili looks too thick, add some water to get the desired consistency. Taste and adjust the seasonings accordingly. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve hot or warm with toppings of choice.