Braaibroodjie is a sweet and delicious grilled cheese sandwich from South Africa.
So today I have a fancy grilled cheese sandwich that is great to pack for lunch. It is called Braaibroodjie, (I gave up on trying to pronounce that word) and it is made widely in South Africa. Caramelized onions, sweet mango chutney and cheese make this sandwich extra special.
My son loves grilled cheese sandwich and I’m always looking for new recipes to try for his lunch box. I found this recipe on the Kitchn site on one of my searches and I pinned it right away. It’s a grown up grilled cheese and I wasn’t sure if my son would appreciate all the different flavors going on in this sandwich.So I wanted to make that grilled cheese sandwich for myself because all the components sounded so interesting and delicious. I used sweet mango chutney, but you can use any fruit based chutney that is either homemade or store bought. Caramelized onions add a nice sweetness to the sandwich. Chutney makes it sweet and spicy at the same time.Even though I cannot pronounce and spell Braaibroodjie, it is a lovely grilled cheese sandwich with lot of flavor. I can see myself making it often and may be my son will start liking it too some time soon.
- 2 tsp Oil
- 1 Large Onion, thinly sliced
- 8 Oatmeal or White Sandwich Bread Slices
- As needed Butter, softened
- 2 tbsp Sweet Mango Chutney (or any other fruit based chutney)
- 1 Medium Tomato, thinly sliced
- ½ cup Grated Cheddar Cheese (any other good melting cheese can also be used)
- To taste Salt Pepper
Make Caramelized Onions:
- Heat oil in a pan; add the onions and cook on medium flame, stirring occasionally until the onions are caramelized around the edges. This will take about 12~15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper; set aside to cool slightly.
Assemble the Sandwich:
- Butter the bread slices generously and build the sandwiches butter side out.
- On one slice, sprinkle the cheese, top with caramelized onions, tomato slices, salt and pepper, more cheese.
- On the other slice, spread the chutney and place it on top of the other slice. Press lightly and put the sandwich on a grill or a panini press. If using a grill, weigh the sandwich down with a heavy plate or pan and cook for 1~2 minutes. Grill until golden brown, flip and repeat on the other side. Serve right away.