Bulgarian Medenki Cookies are perfect Christmas treat that are easy to make and taste amazing.
For the final day of this week’s marathon under ‘Cook by Capital’, I went back and forth about which country to cook from. I had El Salvador, Singapore and Chile in mind. But I finally chose Sofia, the capital of Bulgaria. These Bulgarian Medenki Cookies are easy to make and are cakey and delicious.I have to give it to Valli for coming up with these interesting and challenging themes every month. I especially love her geography based themes. It has been years since I really paid any attention to geography and I am very rusty with my countries and capitals. So thanks to Valli, this month I’ve learnt 10 country capitals.
Bulgarian Medenki Cookies:
Today for the letter S, I chose Sofia – the capital of Bulgaria. It is a country in Southeast Europe. These Bulgarian cookies are made with honey and cinnamon and are perfect for the holiday season. Apparently they are sold individually packaged in supermarkets in Bulgaria. Recipe is from here.
Easy to make Cookie Recipe:
I loved that these cookies are made with vegetable oil. So there’s no need for softening butter and they can be made without any pre planning. Just make the dough, roll the cookies, press and bake until done.
I probably should have pressed the dough a little flatter – because mine turned out cakey but we liked them that way. If you prefer crispy, chewy cookies – then press the dough flat and bake.
Chocolate dipped Cookies:
The baked cookies are then dipped in melted chocolate, which makes them look and taste even more amazing. Serve these Bulgarian Medenki Cookies with a cup of tea or coffee and Enjoy!! Here are a few more Christmas cookie recipes.Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 95.
Check out the other bloggers doing this Bake-a-thon.
Bulgarian Medenki Cookies
For the Cookies:
- ½ cup Confectioners Sugar
- 1 tbsp Egg replacer whisked in 3tbsp water (or 1 large egg)
- 2 tbsp honey
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup Oil
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup Whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- ½ tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ½ tsp baking soda
For the Chocolate:
- ½ cup Dark Chocolate chips
- 1 tsp Oil
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, cinnamon and baking soda.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk egg replacer mixture and powdered sugar until well combined. Add vanilla extract and honey and mix.
- Next add the oil and whisk until well combined.
- Add the flour mixture and mix until incorporated. Let the dough rest for 5~10 minutes.
- Using a small ice cream scoop, shape into balls and place on baking sheet. Press flat. Bake for 12~15 minutes, until golden. Let the cookies cool down completely.
- Melt the chocolate chips with the oil. Dip the cooled cookies halfway into chocolate. Let it set. Store the cookies in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- Use 2 cups All purpose flour.