Creamy Baby corn masala is a delicious gravy based dish that is perfect to serve with naan, roti or simple pulao.
For the final day of this week’s BM under ‘regional side dishes’, I have a delicious gravy based, creamy baby corn masala. To me (and my kids agree), the gravy is the highlight of this dish.
Sub baby corn with any of your favorite veggie or protein and you have a yummy side dish. This is perfect to serve with both Roti or rice. It’s rich and creamy - special enough to make for parties too.
We are currently getting the house ready for the move end of this month. Kitchen is the hardest part because I have so much stuff - random things end up in my shopping cart at the grocery store. I actually stopped buying ‘new’ pantry ingredients about 3 months ago and I’ve been sticking to the basics/ essentials. But I still have a ton to go through. So I made a list of ingredients to use up before the move.
Creamy Baby Corn Masala Curry:
I had couple of cans of baby corn that needed to be used up and hence this recipe was born. If you find fresh baby corn, then please use those here.
Ingredients for Creamy Gravy:
The gravy recipe is pretty straight forward and standard. Onion and tomato are cooked until mushy. Then ground to a paste.
My daughter doesn’t like ‘onions’. So I have grind them to a paste, to make her eat the dish. You can choose to keep the gravy chunky by not grinding the base. This will help in making the dish faster and still very tasty.with almond/ cashew paste and some heavy cream to make it rich.
Almond/ Cashew paste are added to give the dish richness and creaminess. But the final drizzle of cream makes it decadent and delicious.
This is a very basic gravy recipe that will go well with any veggie. So if you are not a big fan of baby corn, then use cauliflower, potato or mixed veggies. Add protein like paneer, tofu, chickpeas etc to make it filling and wholesome.
Serve this baby corn masala with naan, paratha, roti or simple pulao/ pilaf. Few more recipes with Baby Corn from the blog:
Creamy Baby Corn Masala
- 1 15 oz. Can of Baby corn, rinsed and drained about 10 baby corn
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 Small Onion, chopped
- 2 Green Chilies, chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, chopped
- 1" Ginger, grated
- 2 Medium Tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp Red Chili powder
- ½ tsp Ground Cumin
- ¼ tsp Ground Coriander
- ½ tsp Kasoori Methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- ½~1 tsp garam masala
- To taste salt
- 2 tbsp Almond butter or cashew paste
- 2 tbsp Heavy Cream (optional)
- 2 tbsp Cilantro, chopped
- Cut the baby corn into bite size pieces.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan; add the chopped baby corn and saute till lightly golden. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the onions, green chilies, ginger and garlic until onions turn lightly browned. Add the tomatoes and cook till they turn mushy. Let the mixture cool slightly and grind into a smooth paste.
- Heat the remaining 1tbsp in the pan; add the cumin seeds and after they start to sizzle, add the ground onion paste and turmeric. Cook till oil starts to separate around the edges, about 10~12 minutes.
- Add red chili powder, ground cumin, ground coriander, kasoori methi and salt. Cook for 2~3 minutes. Stir in almond butter/ cashew paste and cream and cook till heated through. Serve with rice or roti.