BM# 81: Week 2/ Day 3
Theme: Diwali Savories & Sweets
Dish: Dulche de Leche-Almond Peda
For the final day of this week's blogging marathon under 'Diwali Savorites & Sweets' theme, I made these melt in your mouth Dulche de leche-Almond peda aka caramel fudge. This dessert is a nice variation to regular peda and is sure to be a hit with your family and friends. Also check out these coconut malai peda that is equally rich and delicious.
Idea for this peda came from Jagruthi's Badam Salted Caramel Mawa Malai Peda recipe. I had a bottle of dulche de leche that my husband bought from Argentina that needed to be used up, this peda recipe seemed just perfect for that. My clicks are no where close to Jagruthi's festive clicks, but I tried to my best 🙂 The dark color of dulche de leche/ caramel makes these peda look like they are made with chocolate. Make your own dulche de leche or caramel sauce, if you have the time or simply use store bought one. Love the idea of using salted caramel that Jagruthi used in her recipe. So if that's what you have, then go for it. I added 1 cup of dulce de leche and it was just sweet enough. My husband who has a sweet tooth, thought it was barely sweet for him. But I thought it was perfect because I can have more than 1 🙂
Dulche de Leche-Almond Peda
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter or Ghee
- 1½ cups Milk powder (whole milk preferred)
- 2 cups Mawa/ Khoya, grated or crumbled
- ½ cup Almond Meal (or ground almonds)
- ¾ cup Cream (heavy or Light)
- 1 cup Dulche de Leche (or Caramel sauce) -- homemade or store-bought*
- ½ tsp Ground Cardamom
- In a large nonstick pan, melt butter/ ghee and add milk powder, khoya and almond meal. Stir continuously and cook for 3~4 minutes.2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter or Ghee, 1½ cups Milk powder (whole milk preferred), 2 cups Mawa/ Khoya, grated or crumbled, ½ cup Almond Meal (or ground almonds)
- Next add the cream, dulche de leche and ground cardamom; mix well and cook stirring continuously until the mixture starts to leave the pan. This takes about 20~25 minutes.1 cup Dulche de Leche (or Caramel sauce) -- homemade or store-bought*, ¾ cup Cream (heavy or Light), ½ tsp Ground Cardamom
- Grease the plate with ghee and keep ready.
- Once the mixture is ready, pour it onto the prepared plate. Smooth the top and set aside until the mixture is cool enough handle.
- Scoop about 1tbsp of the mixture and roll into a ball and flatten slightly. Enjoy right away or store in an airtight container in the fridge for longer storage.
- Taste and add more dulche de leche or caramel to make the peda sweeter.