BM# 81: Week 2/ Day 3
Theme: Diwali Savories & Sweets
Dish: Dulche de Leche-Almond Peda
For the final day of this week's blogging marathon under 'Diwali Savorites & Sweets' theme, I made these melt in your mouth Dulche de leche-Almond peda aka caramel fudge. This dessert is a nice variation to regular peda and is sure to be a hit with your family and friends. Also check out these coconut malai peda that is equally rich and delicious.
Idea for this peda came from Jagruthi's Badam Salted Caramel Mawa Malai Peda recipe. I had a bottle of dulche de leche that my husband bought from Argentina that needed to be used up, this peda recipe seemed just perfect for that. My clicks are no where close to Jagruthi's festive clicks, but I tried to my best 🙂 The dark color of dulche de leche/ caramel makes these peda look like they are made with chocolate. Make your own dulche de leche or caramel sauce, if you have the time or simply use store bought one. Love the idea of using salted caramel that Jagruthi used in her recipe. So if that's what you have, then go for it. I added 1 cup of dulce de leche and it was just sweet enough. My husband who has a sweet tooth, thought it was barely sweet for him. But I thought it was perfect because I can have more than 1 🙂
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 81.
Dulche de Leche-Almond Peda
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter or Ghee
- 1½ cups Milk powder (whole milk preferred)
- 2 cups Mawa/ Khoya, grated or crumbled
- ½ cup Almond Meal (or ground almonds)
- ¾ cup Cream (heavy or Light)
- 1 cup Dulche de Leche (or Caramel sauce) -- homemade or store-bought*
- ½ tsp Ground Cardamom
- In a large nonstick pan, melt butter/ ghee and add milk powder, khoya and almond meal. Stir continuously and cook for 3~4 minutes.2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter or Ghee, 1½ cups Milk powder (whole milk preferred), 2 cups Mawa/ Khoya, grated or crumbled, ½ cup Almond Meal (or ground almonds)
- Next add the cream, dulche de leche and ground cardamom; mix well and cook stirring continuously until the mixture starts to leave the pan. This takes about 20~25 minutes.1 cup Dulche de Leche (or Caramel sauce) -- homemade or store-bought*, ¾ cup Cream (heavy or Light), ½ tsp Ground Cardamom
- Grease the plate with ghee and keep ready.
- Once the mixture is ready, pour it onto the prepared plate. Smooth the top and set aside until the mixture is cool enough handle.
- Scoop about 1tbsp of the mixture and roll into a ball and flatten slightly. Enjoy right away or store in an airtight container in the fridge for longer storage.
- Taste and add more dulche de leche or caramel to make the peda sweeter.
Awesome Pavani, I just have a huge tin of this made and wondering how to use it..very lovely idea! and those pedas look yum!
Wow ! The pedas look so moist and must have been very flavourful , I am drooling over these pedas , such a wonderful Diwali sweet .
If I hadn't seen the title & read the recipe, I would have assumed these to be chocolate fudge. Nice addition to Diwali sweets
Wow peda with dulche de leche, just wowwing here, my love for dulce de leche is endless, sure will make this peda very soon.
Wow! that looks so festive, Pavani.
I have bookmarked Jagruti's pedatoo. The pic look very festive pavani and i want these:)
Sharmila - The Happie Friends Potpourri Corner
Yummy pedas.. So festive...
Wow, i would never thought of pedas with dulche de leche. Such a innovative recipe and love those markings on the pedas.
Wow... i.cant imagine the even taste please pass me some..
Delicious and different flavored pedas. I have a bit of dulce de leche left in the fridge, I think I should make these pedas.
I love this idea of using dulce de leche to make pedas. I love the flavor of dulce de leche and that should give the peda such a wonderful flavor.
Mamma mia! That's-a one good one!
looks yumm pavani, loved these when u posted the pics in insta! Pics are as usual gorgeous, tempts me even more!
What a fantastic idea! Dulche de leche would be perfect and the taste would be awesome too!
Hello Pavani, when do you add almond meal to the recipe?
Hi Agnieszka, almond meal goes in the first step itself. I updated the recipe. Thank you. Best, Pavani