Last weekend we visited my cousin's place and she has a lovely backyard garden filled with Indian greens and veggies. My mom and I were got very excited and brought home bags full of gongura (sorrel spinach), bachalakura (malabar spinach/ pohi) and some tomatoes.
Indian stores here sell gongura & bachalakura for lot of money. I'm never even tempted to buy these sorry looking greens -- they are almost wilted with absolutely no life left. This explains our excitement when we saw fresh, vibrant greens 🙂
I saw this recipe with gongura and black eyed peas on a Telugu cooking show and it looked very different from what we usually make with it. Garden fresh greens cook up in no time. This healthy & delicious curry goes well with both rice and roti.
Gongura Bobbarla Kura
Protein rich dish made with gongura (sorrel spinach) and black eyed peas. This healthy & delicious curry goes well with both rice and roti.Print Pin Rate
- ½ cup Black eyed peas (bobbarlu)
- 1 Onion Small , finely chopped
- 1 Tomato Small , finely chopped
- ½ tsp Ginger+garlic paste
- 2 Chilies Green , slit
- ¼ tsp Turmeric powder
- ½ tsp Chili powder Red
- ½ tsp Coriander Ground
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- ½ tsp Chana dal
- ½ tsp Urad dal
- 1 red chili Dry
- Curry leaves Few
- to taste Salt
- Soak black eyed peas for 2~3 hours, then pressure cook them until soft and tender. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add dry red chili, chana dal, urad dal, mustard and cumin seeds. Once the seeds start to splutter, add the curry leaves and green chilies. Cook for 30 seconds.
- Next add onions and ginger+garlic paste, cook for 2~3 minutes or the onions are crisp tender. Don't overcook the onions, curry tastes great if they are left a little crunchy.
- Add the chopped gongura and turmeric. Cover and cook till the leaves wilt and are cooked through.
- Next add the tomato, red chili powder, coriander powder and salt. Cover and cook till the tomato gets mushy, about 2~3 minutes.
- Finally add the cooked black eyed peas and little water, mix well, cover and cook for 4~5minutes for the flavors to mingle. Serve with rice or roti.
Linking this to Valli's 'Cooking from Cookbook Challenge: August -- Week 3'.
Tried this recipe?Mention @cooks_hideout or tag #cookshideout!
Very mouth watering recipe Pavani even I saw this recipe will give a try soon..
Never tasted bobbarla kura wiht gongura. Curry looks inviting. Nice recipe.
I love black eyed peas - this looks fabulous!!!
I am bookmarking this recipe will try it soon, since this leafy veggie is wildly grown in the hills where I go for my walk daily.
This looks very delecious 🙂 Should try out this new combination of spincah and peas
Looks awesome pavani..I have not tried alasandalu with gangura..sounds interesting mix..
I have never bought these leaves .Would try it sometime.Nice curry.
Lovely healthy curry....