BM# 73: Week 1/ Day 2
Theme: Valentines Day Recipes
Dish: Heart shaped Pizza Pinwheels
Today I have a cheesy heart shaped Pizza Pinwheels for Valentine’s Day. As I was thinking of what to make for today, I saw these pizza party buns for King Arthur Flour’s January Bakealong challenge. They looked like something my kids would eat at a party, so I thought why not make them for a Valentine’s Day theme.These buns/ pinwheels are super soft and airy, they would be great to be filled with cinnamon sugar or chocolate spread or even a savory filling like what I did today. So, it’s totally up to you to either go sweet or savory for these party buns.The dough is very very easy to work with. I followed the original recipe and rolled out the entire dough into one big rectangle and then add the filling. But if you want to make smaller appetizer size pinwheels, then divide the dough in half, roll it out and proceed to make smaller buns. I think the smaller ones would be cute to serve for kids parties.I used store bought marinara sauce, sauteed spinach and onion along with some grated cheese for my filling. You can choose to add any of your favorite pizza topping in here, just make sure to chop them fine and saute them until soft, if necessary. I think lightly cooked peppers, corn, roasted and chopped vegetables (eggplant, zucchini, peppers etc) would be excellent choices for fillings.Since I was making the pinwheels for Valentine’s day themed recipes, I tried to make them into heart shaped buns. I asked my son, if they looked like hearts, he said ‘not really’. But I thought I did an excellent job at making hearts 🙂 Please let me know if the pinwheels look like hearts to you 🙂
Heart shaped Pizza Pinwheels
For the Dough:
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1~1½ cups Wholewheat flour
- 2½ tsp Instant Yeast
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 1¼ cups Lukewarm Milk
For the Filling:
- 3~4 cups Baby Spinach, chopped
- 1 Medium Onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- To taste Salt Pepper
- ½ cup marinara sauce
- 2 cups Shredded Cheese (mozzarella or cheddar or monterey jack)
Make the Dough:
- In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of the stand mixer, combine all the bread flour, 1 cup of whole wheat flour, yeast, salt, sugar, oil and milk. Mix well to form a smooth, pliable dough. Add more wholewheat flour if the dough seems too wet.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover and set aside to rise for 60~90 minutes.
Make the Filling:
- While the dough is rising, make the filling. Heat 1tbsp oil in a pan, add the onions, garlic and cook till the onions turn browned around the edges.
- Add the chopped spinach and cook till it's wilted. Season with salt and pepper. Turn off the heat and let the filling cool,
- Gently deflate the dough and roll it out into 12"x18" rectangle (for bigger rolls) or divide the dough in half and roll each piece into 8"x10" rectangle.
- Spread the dough evenly with the marinara sauce, cheese and spinach filling.
- Roll the dough, starting with the long end, into a log. Cut the log into 12~18 equal pieces. Place the rolls on a parchment lined baking sheet. If you want to make heart shaped rolls, then press the roll lightly on the top and bottom to make the heart shapes.
- Cover lightly with a plastic wrap and let rise for 60~90 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake for 25~30 minutes or until the rolls are lightly golden and the cheese has melted.
- Serve right away with some marinara sauce on the side.