Blogging Marathon# 65: Week 3/ Day 1
Theme: 1 Vegetable — 3 Dishes
Dish: Indian Style Beet Salad
We are starting a new week of blogging marathon today and my theme for this week is to pick 1 vegetables and make 3 dishes. My favorite eggplant and the family favorite potato were fighting to get into the spotlight this week, but I wanted to give the less favored Beets a chance, so this way I can add new recipes to my repertoire. So first up is this Indian style Beet Salad.I am not a big fan of beets but at the same time I don’t completely dislike it. The whole family is against it — the color doesn’t attract them at all, I think it actually make them go the other way. Anyway my husband liked this beet salad that I made during the detox diet (I guess he was forced to like it after eating the same dishes 3 days straight), so that is one of the main reasons for picking Beets for the week.First up is an easy and nutritious Indian style Beet salad. Recipe is from a Telugu cooking show. Salad is made with Indian flavors with some crunch from peanuts, roasted gram dal and cashews. Even with such simple ingredients, the salad tasted amazing.
Indian Style Beet Salad
- 1 Beet Small , peeled and grated
- 1 ~ 2 Chilies Green , finely chopped
- 1 onion Small , finely chopped
- 2 tbsps cilantro , finely chopped
- 3 tbsps coconut Fresh , grated
- 2 tbsps Peanuts
- 1 tbsp Cashews
- 1 tbsp dal Roasted (Putnalu or ia)
- 6 ~ 8 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp Sesame seeds , toasted
- To taste salt
- Heat 2tsp oil in a pan, add peanuts and cook till they turn lightly brown. Next add cashews, roasted gram, curry leaves and saute till they turn color.
- Next add the grated beets and cook for 2~3 minutes. Season with salt.
- Remove the beet mixture into a bowl. Add chopped green chilies, onions, cilantro, grated coconut and lemon juice. Mix well. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and serve warm or at room temperature.