Bonus Dish for Week 2:
Theme: A-Z Dishes from Andhra Pradesh
Dish: K for Kobbari Kura
This was the dish that I made for K, but as it turns out I had to make Lauju (coconut burfi) for letter L and since I didn't want two dishes back to back with the same ingredient K had to be changed to Kakarakaya Podi kura. So this simple, quick and easy curry recipe is my bonus recipe for this week.
Any vegetable can be used to make this dish; carrot, cluster beans, cabbage etc being the best suited. There are no masalas and the flavor of the ingredients is what you taste. One of my favorite ways to cook veggies, no fuss recipe.
- 1 cup Green beans - finely chopped
- ½ cup Coconut - grated
- ½ cup Chana Dal (Yellow Split pea) - soaked for ½ hour
- 2 Chilies Green
- to taste Salt
- 1 tsp Chana dal
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 red chili Dry
- 6 - 8 Curry leaves
- Pressure cook chana dal for just 1-2 whistles. Dal should be tender but not mushy. Set aside.
- Microwave green beans until almost tender, about 4-5 minutes.
- Heat 2tsp oil in a saute pan, add the tempering ingredients and once the seeds start to splutter add the green chilies, green beans and cooked dal. Mix well and cook until the green beans are completely cooked, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt.
thats like a new kind of thoran for me:)..thanks for sharing
Except for minor variations (coconut and chillies are ground together, but if I am really lazy, I just add it just like that), its almost like our thoran. I guess the basic funda for South Indian food is the same - except for a few changes here and there!
brillant piece of information, I had come to know about your web-page from my friend hardkik, chennai,i have read atleast 9 posts of yours by now, and let me tell you, your webpage gives the best and the most interesting information. This is just the kind of information that i had been looking for, i'm already your rss reader now and i would regularly watch out for the new posts, once again hats off to you! Thanx a million once again, Regards, dosakaya pachadi