Blogging Marathon# 32: Letter Q
Theme: A-Z Dishes from Andhra Pradesh
Dish: Q for Qabooli Biryani (Hyderabadi Chana dal Biryani)
Letter Q stands for Qubani (apricots). Qubani ka Meetha is a very famous Hyderabadi dessert that is made with dried apricots that are soaked and then cooked with sugar and drizzled with cream. I wanted to make it, but couldn't find good quality apricots. So I made Qabooli instead.
Qabooli is biryani made with spicy chana dal (split pea lentil) and layered with basmati rice. I used black chana/ chickpeas instead and it turned out quite tasty. This is a filling and delicious dish that is great to make when you have company.
For Rice Layer:
- 1½ cups Basmati Rice
- 3 Cloves
- 3 Cardamom Green
- 1 Cinnamon " stick
- 1 Bay leaf
- to taste Salt
For the Chana layer:
- 1 cup Chana/ Kabuli Chana Kala , cooked
- 1 Onion - medium, chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger-garlic paste
- 2 chilies Green - slit
- 1 tsp chili powder Red
- 1 tsp Coriander Ground
- 1 tsp cumin Ground
- ½ cup Yogurt - whisked well
- 1 Tomato - medium, chopped
- 3 tbsps Mint leaves - chopped
- 3 tbsps Cilantro leaves - chopped
- to taste Salt
- 1 Onion - large, thinly sliced
- For Rice Layer: Soak rice in cold water for at least 30 minutes. Add all the other ingredients listed along with 2 cups of water in a microwave safe bowl for 8 minutes. Rice should be 75-80% cooked and all the water should be absorbed.
- For the Chana Masala Layer: Heat 2tbsp oil in a pan, add the onions and green chilies; cook until onions are lightly browned. Add ginger-garlic paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Next add tomato and cook until mushy. Add ground coriander, cumin, red chili powder and salt. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the whisked yogurt and chopped herbs. Cook for 2 more minutes. Remove from heat and set aside until ready to use.
- Make caramelized onions: Heat 1tbsp oil in a pan and the sliced onions. Cook on medium flame stirring frequently until the onions turn golden and start to caramelize, about 20-25 minutes.
- Assemble the Biryani: In a heavy bottomed wide pan, add ⅓rd of the rice, followed by ½ of the chana masala and ½ of the caramelized onions. Top this with ⅓rd of the rice and remaining chana masala. Finally add the remaining ⅓rd of the rice and the caramelized onions. Sprinkle some chopped mint and cilantro. Cover tightly with the lid and cook on low flame for 12-15 minutes or until the rice is completely cooked and all the flavors mingle with each other.
G for Gongura Pulihora
H for Haleem/ Vegetarian Haleem
I for Iguru/ Vankaya-Senagapappu Iguru
J for Jonna Pindi Kudumulu K for Kakarakaya Podi Kura
L for Lauju/ Laskora (Kobbari Lauju)
M for Menthi kura Pappu
N for Nuvvulu-Mamidikaya Pachadi
O for Onion Pachadi
P for Pindi Miriyam
Wood Fire Biryani
Wonderful Blog!!Thanks to sharing the your food details and great explain ....keep update..