I wanted to try Kohlrabi after seeing this recipe. I really loved the refreshing flavor and texture of this cabbage family member. It has long green stalks that are completely edible.
Kohlrabi has a refreshing flavor and texture similar to cabbage. This curry is spicy and delicious.
Servings: 4 serving
- 3 Kohlrabi - diced along with the greens
- 1 Onion - medium, diced
- 1 clove Garlic - minced
- 2 Tomatoes - medium, chopped
- 2 chilies Green - chopped
- 1 tbsp Tamarind paste
- 1 tsp Jaggery (or to taste)
- 1 tsp Chili powder Red
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- to taste Salt
- Microwave chopped kohlrabi for 5 minutes or until tender. (Pressure cooking works fine too)
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan, add the seeds and after they pop, saute onions till translucent.
- Add tomatoes and green chilies; cover and cook till tender.
- Add boiled kohlrabi along with the greens, red chili powder, tamarind paste, jaggery, salt and 1/2 cup of water. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes or till the gravy thickens.
- Serve with steamed rice or dosa or even roti.
Updated Image: December 2012: