I have been thinking of using peanuts in the gravy and wasn’t sure how it was going to turn out, but the curry turned out pretty good and tasted even better for lunch the next day.
- 4 half Bitter Gourd Kakarakaya/ Karela/ - medium, lightly scrubbed and cut into moons.
- 1 Onion - small, chopped
- 1 Tomato - small, chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger+Garlic paste
- 1/4 cup Peanuts , roasted
- 1/2 tsp chili powder Red (or more to taste)
- 1 tbsp Tamarind paste
- 2 tbsp Jaggery
- to taste Salt
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 red chili Dry
- 6 Curry Leaves
- Cook kakarakaya as described above. Keep aside.
- Heat 1tsp oil in a saute pan; add onions and stir fry till lightly browned. Add g+g paste and tomatoes; cook till tomatoes turn mushy. Remove and let cool.
- Heat 1tbsp oil to the same pan; add mustard seeds and cumin seeds, once the seeds start spluttering, add curry leavs and red chilies. Saute for a minute.
- Then add half cooked kakarakaya; cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, blend peanuts along with sauted onions, tamarind paste and jaggery with 1/2 cup of water.
- Add peanut mixture to kakarakaya along with red chili powder and salt. Cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until all the flavors mingle.
- Enjoy with steamed rice.