Crunchy, spicy and absolutely delicious Raw Mango Salad aka Mango Chaat is a great appetizer or an afternoon snack.
Today I have an Indian street food that is spicy, crunchy and very addictive raw Mango Chaat. With summer and mango season in full swing in India, this salad would be a great treat as a snack. It is the perfect recipe to enjoy those fresh, crisp green summer mangoes.Earlier this month, we went to Asheville, North Carolina for a weekend. It is a beautiful and vibrant city in the mountains. Though there was a lot to get excited about this lovely place, I was more excited about to go to an Indian restaurant. It is called Chai Pani and they serve amazing Indian street food. I read about this place a few years back and I always wanted to go and eat at this restaurant.The first night we went there, the place was packed and we were too hungry to wait, so ended up going to another place around the corner. But we went back the next day nice and early to secure a table. The waiting was well worth it. The food was amazing, they have a small menu but they just as they advertised they serve the best street food around here.We ordered mango chaat, vada pav and a thali. Loved everything that was served. So I came back home and made the mango salad at home. I think I did a pretty good job of recreating the flavors. Fried corn poha (found in Indian stores as corn flakes), peanuts add crunch to the salad, while green mango adds tang and freshness. Pop of sweetness comes from a handful of raisins that are added on top. Green chutney brings all the flavors together. Try this addicting and delicious chaat.
Mango Chaat (Indian Crunchy Raw Mango Salad)
- 1 cup Raw Mango, peeled and cubed
- 3 cups Corn Flakes (found in Indian stores)
- 1 Small Red Onion, very finely chopped
- 3 tbsp Roasted Peanuts, chopped
- 3 tbsp Golden Raisins
- 2 tbsp Green Chutney, store bought or homemade* (adjust as per taste preference)
- 2 tbsp Lime juice, adjust as per taste
- To taste salt
- 2 tbsp Cilantro, finely chopped
- Deep fry the corn flakes until puffed and crispy. Drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- Combine all the other ingredients in a mixing bowl. Taste and add more green chutney, lemon juice or salt, as needed.
- Finally add the fried corn flakes and chopped cilantro. Serve immediately!!
- Link to my Homemade Green Chutney recipe here.