Blogging Marathon# 32: Letter M
Theme: A-Z Dishes from Andhra Pradesh
Dish: M for Menthi kura Pappu
Letter M stands for fruits & veggies like Mamidikaya/ Mamidi pandu (mango), Menthikura (fenugreek leaves) etc. For today's post, I made a simple dal with Menthikura. I planted methi in my container garden and used it to make this tasty dal. Methi is probably the easiest to grow, sow some methi (fenugreek seeds) and within a week you have tiny methi leaves growing.
Pappu or dal is the main source of protein in our diet and is made almost everyday. This is a very basic recipe and any greens can be used instead of methi.
- 1 tbsp Tamarind pulp
- ¼ tsp Turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp Asafoetida (hing)
- 2 chilies Green - slit
- 8 - 10 Curry leaves
- to taste Salt
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 - 3 chilies Dry red
- Pressure cook toor dal with a pinch of turmeric until very soft.
- Heat 2tsp oil in a medium saucepan, add mustard seeds,cumin seeds and red chilies; once the seeds start to splutter add the chopped methi leaves and cook covered until they are tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add tamarind paste, asafoetida (hing), turmeric and salt. Simmer for 5-7 minutes for the flavors to mingle.
- Next add the cooked dal, green chilies, curry leaves and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Serve hot with steamed rice or rotis. I served with rice and kakarakaya podi kura.