I know the title is a little misleading, how can a dish be a pappu (dal) and a kura (curry). I wonder too!! My intention was to make a dry curry with moong dal, but ended up adding a little too much water as I wanted to make the curry in 30 minutes, but ended up with a very mushy dal. To add insult to injury none of the pictures I took came out good. But it tasted awesome. Well, in the spirit of blogging marathon, I’m going to post the recipe and the picture, but I’m going to redeem myself and make a better looking curry soon.
I usually make this curry with just spinach, but this time I only had half a bag of baby spinach, so I added half a head of cabbage to make enough curry for 3-4 servings.
- 3 cups Spinach – , chopped
- ½ of head Cabbage – a medium , about 4 cups chopped
- ½ cup Moong dal (Pesarapappu)
- 2 cloves Garlic – roughly chopped
- 2 chilies Green – slit vertically
- ¼ tsp Turmeric
- to taste Salt
- ½ tsp Urad dal (minapappu)
- ½ tsp Mustard seeds
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 chilies Dry red – broken
- 8 - 10 Curry leaves
- Soak moong dal in water for about 5-10 minutes (up to half an hour if you have time), in the mean time get the veggies ready.
- Heat 2tsp oil in a sauté pan, add tempering ingredients and once the seeds start to splutter add moong dal (drained), spinach and cabbage. Add turmeric and mix well.
- Cover and cook on medium flame stirring occasionally until dal is cooked through and cabbage is cooked through, should take about 15-20 minutes.
- Season with salt and cook for another minute. Serve with steamed rice or roti.
- Usually there’s no need to add water to cook the lentils since if are soaked and both cabbage and spinach give out water while cooking. I wanted to finish the dish within 30 minutes, so added about ¼ cup of water along with the veggies which ended up making my dal too mushy. Ideally this is a dry curry where should be able to see the dal whole.
Good improvisation..looks good
That combo of spinach and cabbage is interesting. Actually when we add soaked moongdal to curries, we do at the final stages, probably cook for just 3 - 4 minutes and it would be done.
Yummy and healthy combination.. looks simply delicious.. perfect clicks :)Indian Cuisine
interesting combination.. spinach and cabbage...looks good....cool recipe...
yummy looking curry
Spinach and cabbage is an interesting and healthy combo...while making this curry I add the soaked dal with little water and let it cook till 3/4 done then add the spinach which gets cooked in no time. That way the dal remains whole and curry is dry..It was there on my BM list but decieded to do away with it since my pics were not good
interesting combo...the curry looks good ,never tried something like this!!
Curry with spinach and cabbage sounds wonderful, interesting,healthy and delicious combo..
Interesting combination! I normally I don't mix veggies and dals as husband doesn't like mixing the two.. 🙁