After eating the fruit for a week, I started thinking of options of consuming them in bulk. Some of the peaches went into this yummy summer soda that I made for the BBQ – very summery and refreshing. With the rest of the peaches I made this peach-mango jam and added some ground vanilla as flavoring. I still have a couple more mangoes that I’m planning to make mango lassi with – don’t want to end the summer without enjoying an ice cold lassi.
Here’s how I made the jam.
Peach-Mango Jam with Vanilla
- 3 Peaches – medium, peeled, pitted and chopped (about 3 cups)
- 2 Mangoes Ripe – medium, peeled, pitted and chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup Sugar (use less if you want not-so-sweet jam, we like it sweeter, so I went with 1cup of sugar)
- 2 tsps Vanilla Ground (use bean if you have it, wondering if vanilla extract would work here??)
- ¼ cup Orange Juice (freshly squeezed)
- 3 tsps Pectin
- Add the chopped fruit, sugar and orange juice (and vanilla bean if using) to a heavy bottom saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil; lower the heat and simmer the mixture until the fruits start to break down.
- Add the ground vanilla and mix well. You can blend with a hand mixer for a smoother jam at this stage or mash with a potato masher for a chunkier one.
- Finally add pectin, make sure to mix it very well otherwise pectin forms papery residue in the jam. Simmer for 5-10 minutes or until jam thickens. Check this cool tip by Suma @ Ecurry on how to determine whether your jam is ready or not.