I was watching Rachel Ray’s 30 minute meals the other day and she was making a menu around smoky flavors. She used various ingredients like cumin, chipotle in adobo, smoked Gouda cheese etc to get the smoky taste in all the dishes. That made me thinking about Indian menus around one particular flavor.
I don’t usually like having the same flavor in all the dishes. I like to have complimentary flavors like hot & spicy with mild & slightly sweet. Well for this menu, I wanted to have the same flavor, sweet and tangy, in all the dishes.
I made Pearl Onion pulusu and Carrot & Coconut curry with white rice.
Potato fry, Carrot-Coconut curry, Onion Pulusu with Rice
- 2 Tomatoes – ripe, chopped
- 4 chilies Green
- 2 tbsps Tamarind paste
- 3 tbsps Jaggery
- 1 tbsp Rice flour water – mixed with
- ½ tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 chilies Dry red
- 6 - 8 Curry leaves
- pinch Asafoetida , hing
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a saucepan, add the ingredients for tempering one after another in the same order. When the seeds splutter, add the onions and sauté on medium heat till they turn light golden.
- Add the tomatoes, cover and cook till they get mushy. Add tamarind paste, 2 cups water and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Stir in sambar powder, jaggery and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the rice flour mixture, cook for another 2 minutes. Stir in chopped coriander leaves.
That's a warm and comforting meal pavani.I also make a pulusu with pearl onion.Will try your version soon.
Same pinch on that!!!!! 🙂 I also love having a varied meal with all forms of flavours 🙂
your meal looks dilicious 🙂 like maheshwari mentioned..... comforting 🙂
I love your thali! Mouthwatering.I am saving this recipe.Thank you so much!:)
That thali looks so tempting, makes me hungry. very nice photo