This broken wheat tomato dosa is quick to make and requires no fermentation time.
Today I have an Indian whole grain recipe that is quick and easy to make. This broken wheat tomato dosa is a great dish to make when you are short of time and are craving for some dosa. It is packed with flavor and makes for a great breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Recipe is from Suja’s blog. I loved it the minute I saw it on her blog and bookmarked it right away. I think I am probably one of those very few South Indians who don’t have fresh batch of idli or dosa batter in the fridge every week. Couple of reasons for that – first I am too lazy to grind the batter and I am also forgetful to soak the lentils. Whatever the case may be I make idli or dosa may be once a month.But in my defense I make quick dosa like this broken wheat tomato dosa quite often. Broken wheat aka godhuma rawa aka lapsi is soaked for about an hour. Tomatoes, chilies, ginger and cilantro are ground along with soaked broken wheat. This adds lots of flavor to the batter making the dosa taste amazing.My son loves dosa but my picky 5 year old daughter says she doesn’t like them. She was hooked after having a bite. She said these were the best dosa she ever ate. I was happy that she at least tried and ate a dosa — a big victory for me.
Few of my favorite Quick and easy Dosa recipes:
[inlinkz_linkup id=760140 mode=1]
Godhuma Rawa Tomato Dosa
- 1 cup Broken Wheat/ Godhuma Rawa
- 2 Medium Tomatoes, chopped
- 1" Ginger piece, grated
- 2~3 Green Chilies, chopped
- 4~6 curry leaves
- 3 tbsp Cilantro, chopped
- To taste salt
- As needed Oil, for cooking
- Add just enough water to broken wheat to soak and set aside for 1 hour.
- Blend tomatoes, ginger, green chilies, curry leaves, cilantro and salt into a smooth paste.
- Add the broken wheat and grind into a slightly coarse batter.
- Heat a tawa/ griddle on medium-high heat. Pour a ladle full of batter and spread it out into a circle with the back of the ladle. Drizzle with oil and cook till the bottom is golden brown, about 1~2 minutes.
- Gently flip and cook on the other side for another 1 minute. Serve hot with chutney. Repeat with the remaining batter.