Blogging Marathon# 34: Week 2/ Day 3
Theme: Instant Idlis/ Dosas
Dish: Wheat Rava Dosa (Godhuma pindi-rava Dosa)
For Day 3 of BM# 34, as promised yesterday I have the healthier version of Rawa dosa . I saw this recipe on one of the Telugu cooking channels and really loved the idea of using whole-wheat flour (atta) and wheat rawa to make dosas. These dosas have been on our meal rotation for a while now and get made at least once every 2 weeks.
Potato curry can be used as a filling similar to masala dosas. But to make it a little more interesting and colorful, I made a quick carrot and green beans curry for the filling. This is a super filling and delicious meal when served with chutney on the side.
Carrot-Green Beans Curry:
This curry can be made while the batter is soaking. Veggies are not cooked until mushy, they are cooked only until fork tender. Also curry is lightly spiced with just green chilies.
Wheat Rava Dosa with Carrot-Green Beans Curry
For the Dosas: Makes about 8~10 medium dosas
- 1 cup Whole-wheat flour Atta /
- 1 cup Wheat Rawa - (You can also whole-grain Cream of wheat available in the cereal aisle of the grocery store)
- ½ cup Rice flour - (preferably brown rice flour)
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- to taste Salt
For Carrot-Green Beans Curry:
- 3 Carrots - medium, peeled and diced
- 1 cup Green beans - chopped
- 1 or 2 chilies Green - finely chopped (adjust as per taste)
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 8 ~ 10 Curry leaves
- to taste Salt
- To make Dosas: Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Add 3cups of water and mix well to form a smooth batter. Set aside for at least 30 minutes.
- When ready to cook, heat a tawa or griddle on medium-high flame. Pour batter using a ladle and spread it around using the back of the ladle into a round dosa. Sprinkle 1~2tsp oil on the dosa and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 2~3 minutes per side.
- Serve hot with chutney and/or curry.
- To make Carrot-Beans Curry: Heat 2tsp oil in a pan, add cumin seeds and once the seeds start to splutter add green chilies, curry leaves and the chopped veggies.
- Cover the pan and cook until the veggies are just fork tender. Season with salt and set aside until ready to use.