This Sorakaya Kobbari Karam is a simple and delicious side dish for both rice and roti. Bottle gourd is cooked in a tangy-spicy coconut gravy.
Sorakaya Kobbari Karam:
Today I have a simple side dish to serve with any South Indian meal. It is made with bottle gourd/ lauki/ sorakaya. This is one vegetable that is found all year long in all Indian & Asian supermarkets.
I always end up buying a lauki on all of trips to the Indian store. I have included some recipe ideas with it at the end of the post. This recipe is from a Telugu cooking show.
Other vegetables suitable to use with kobbari karam:
If you don’t have lauki to make this curry, then try one of these vegetables instead:
- Peppers (any color will work)
- Bitter gourd (kakarakaya)
- Ridge gourd (beerakaya)
- Tindora (dondakaya)
Coconut based spice paste:
The spice paste is freshly made and added to the curry. There are 4 simple ingredients in the spice paste:
- Fresh or frozen Coconut (thaw if frozen)
- Dry red chilies
- Tamarind paste
- Cumin seeds
All of the above ingredients are ground into a smooth paste and then cooked with bottle gourd until all the flavors mingle.
Quick & Easy Lauki Recipe:
As a said before this is a very simple and easy to make dish. I cook the bottle gourd in the microwave for a few minutes to par cook them. This expedites the cooking process quite a bit.
While the veggies are cooking, make the spice paste ready. Add it to the simmering veggies and cook for a few more minutes. You can add more water to make the curry with gravy or make it dry. Either way, it tastes good and pairs well with rice or roti.
Sorakaya Kobbari Karam kura (Bottle gourd/ Lauki Coconut Curry)
For the Coconut Spice Paste:
- ½ cup Fresh Grated Coconut*
- 3~4 Dry Red Chilies (adjust as per taste preference)
- 1 tbsp Tamarind Paste
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
For the Curry:
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 2 cups Bottle Gourd/ Sorakaya, peeled and chopped**
- ¼ tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1~2 Green Chilies (optional)
- 8~10 Curry Leaves
- To taste Salt
Make the Coconut Paste:
- Grind the ingredients for the paste using little water. Keep aside.
Make the Curry:
- Heat 1tbsp oil in a saute pan, add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Once the seeds start to splutter, add curry leaves and green chilies (if using). Cook for 1 minute.
- Next add the bottle gourd pieces, turmeric and salt. Mix well, cover and cook till bottle gourd is tender, about 10~12 minutes. Alternately bottle gourd can be par cooked in the microwave for 4~5 minutes and then added here and cooked for 4~5 minutes more.
- Finally add the ground coconut paste, mix well and cook for another 4~5 minutes. Add more water if the curry looks too dry. Serve with steamed rice and dal.
- You can also use frozen grated coconut. But thaw it before adding to the spice paste.
- Microwave or steam the bottle gourd until fork tender and then add to the curry. This expedites the cooking process.
- If you like the curry spicy, then add the green chilies.
- You can add more water to make the curry with gravy or make it dry.