Blogging Marathon# 38: Week 2/ Day 2
Theme: Gourmet Rice Dishes
Dish: Udupi Vegetable Pulao
For day 2 of BM# 38, I made this flavorful Udupi Vegetable Pulao. I saw this dish being made on a Telugu cooking show and really liked the coconut based spice/ masala paste that is added to the veggies. This is a one pot dish that is sure to wow everyone.
Udupi Vegetable Pulao
- 2 cups Basmati Rice water - soaked in cold for at least 30 minutes
- 1 Onion - medium, thinly sliced
- 1 Carrot - small, diced
- 1 cup Cabbage - chopped
- ½ cup Green beans - chopped
- ½ cup Green Peas
- 1 Tomato - medium, chopped
- 2 tbsp Cashews
- 1 cup Coconut Milk
- 3 tbsps Cilantro - chopped
- 3 tbsps Mint - chopped
- to taste Salt
For the Masala/ Spice Paste:
- ½ cup Coconut Fresh - grated
- 1 tsp Chili powder Red - or more, adjust as per taste
- 1 tsp Coriander Ground powder
- 1 Ginger "
- 3 ~ 4 cloves Garlic
- 1 Cinnamon " Stick
- 2 pods Cardamom
- 3 Cloves
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 Cinnamon " stick
- 2 Cloves
- 2 pods Cardamom
- Grind all the ingredients listed under 'Masala/ Spice paste' into a smooth paste using little water.
- Heat 2tbsp oil + 1tbsp ghee in a large dutch oven or heavy bottomed pan; add the tempering ingredients. Once the spices are fragrant, add the onions and cashews; cook on medium flame until the onions start turning lightly browned around the edges.
- Add the carrots, beans, cabbage and green peas. Cover and cook till the veggies are tender, about 10~12 minutes.
- Next add the tomato and cook until it turns mushy.
- Add the ground masala paste and cook till it doesn't smell raw anymore, about 3~4 minutes.
- Drain water from the rice and add the rice to the veggies. Mix gently and cook for 2~3 minutes. Add the chopped cilantro and mint, mix well.
- Now add coconut milk and about 2cups of water (adjust the water quantity depending on your rice). Bring the mixture to a boil, lower the heat to simmer, cover the pan and cook for 15~20 minutes or until the rice is tender. Leave it covered for 5~10 minutes before serving.
- I served this Udupi pulao with Potato-Jackfruit seeds Kurma and simple onion raitha.
- Other vegetables like diced potato, cauliflower florets, green pepper can also be added.
- Skip coconut milk and use just water, if desired.