Hearty and delicious Vegan Buddha bowl with rice, chickpeas, bok choy and a creamy, spicy sriracha sauce.
We are starting a new week of blogging marathon today and I am doing a very interesting theme this week. Valli wanted us to explore adapted cuisines in a different country’. So for the first day I made this Vegan Buddha bowl. This is a version of the popular Chinese restaurant dish called Buddha’s delight.Usually every country has its own version of other country cuisines — recipes are adapted to suit the local tastes. For example the Chinese dishes found in India or the US and entirely different from traditional Chinese dishes. Indo Chinese happens to be my husbands favorite cuisine and my favorite is American Chinese 🙂
I remember the first time I had Buddha’s delight, this was years ago when vegetarian food in US was still alien. I had very limited options in Chinese restaurants. Buddha’s delight, which was basically steamed veggies with a bit of soy sauce, was one of them. Vegetarian food has come a looong way in the years since and there are many more options these days even in smaller restaurants. Buddha’s bowl is one of the more recent adaptation of Buddha’s bowl. It is a meal in a bowl with rice, protein and veggies. I added chickpeas as my protein, but tofu, tempeh or other beans would also work. My favorite part of this dish is the spicy Sriracha sauce. It is creamy, spicy and adds a lot of to the whole dish. This sauce is so yummy that I would make extra sauce and add it to just about any dish. Use whatever veggie you have on hand or like to make this dish and enjoy!!
Vegan Buddha Bowl with Sriracha Sauce
For the Spicy Sriracha Sauce:
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2~3 tbsp water
- 1~2 tbsp sriracha sauce
Other for the Rice Bowl:
- 2 cups Rice (white or brown or a mix of both)
- 3~4 Baby Bok Choy, trimmed
- 2 cups Steamed Broccoli
- 2 cups Cooked Chickpeas
- To taste Salt Pepper
- For Topping Grated or Chopped Carrots/ Cucumbers/ Bean sprouts/ Cilantro
Make the Sriracha Sauce:
- Combine all the ingredients for the sauce in a blender and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust the soy sauce or sriracha as needed. This sauce can be made up to 3 days in advance. Store it in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to use.
Assemble the Buddha Bowl:
- Heat oil in a skillet on medium flame. Add the bok choy and cook till lightly browned and slightly tender. Season with salt and pepper. Remove onto a plate and set aside.
- Add the chickpeas to the same skillet to warm them through. Add some of the sauce and mix well to evenly coat them.
- Divide the rice between the serving bowls. Top it with the spicy chickpeas, broccoli and the other toppings. Drizzle generously with Sriracha sauce and serve right away. Enjoy!!