Vegan Kheema Pav (sloppy joe) made with spiced cauliflower simmered with tomatoes and warm Indian spices.
Today I have another street food recipe inspired from our visit to Chai Pani restaurant in Nashville. They had Sloppy Jai aka kheema pav on their menu. It sounded so inviting to me but couldn’t order it for obvious reasons. I set out to make my own Vegan version when I got home.Kheema Pav is a popular street food in Mumbai and is generally made with minced meat. I found quite a few different vegetarian/ vegan recipes using various meat substitutes like soy granules, lentils, crumbled tofu etc. Mine is made with grated cauliflower aka cauliflower rice. I used it to make this fried rice couple of weeks ago.
Processing the cauliflower into smaller pieces makes the texture resemble minced meat a little bit. I also added some coarsely mashed chickpeas too to add protein and texture to the dish. The cauliflower and chickpea mixture is simmered in a spicy tomato sauce that is flavored with warm Indian spices.The ‘Kheema’ mixture should not be too liquidy or it will be difficult to serve with the Pav (bread). It should be just right to be served over the bread as a sandwich. It is then topped with spicy green chutney, sweetened yogurt and with some homemade pickled onions for crunch.It is a little messy to eat and it is best to keep a stack of tissues to wipe the face. My son loved it - I didn’t tell him that it was made with cauliflower until after he tasted and liked it. So this is definitely going to be a winner even with kids. Do try this vegan Kheema Pav aka Sloppy joe (or should I say Sloppy Jai) and Enjoy!!
Vegan Indian Style Sloppy Joes Recipe
For the Vegan Kheema Mixture:
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 Small Onion, finely chopped
- 2 cuos Cauliflower Florets, processed into a fine mixture
- 1 cup Cooked Chickpeas, coarsely mashed
- 1 tsp Ginger+garlic paste
- 1 cup Tomato puree
- 1 tsp Red Chili powder
- 1 tsp Ground Coriander
- ½ tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp Cilantro, finely chopped
- To taste salt
- 8 Pav buns/ Slider buns
- As needed Green Chutney
- As needed Sweetened Coconut Yogurt (use regular or soy yogurt)
- As needed Pickled Onions or finely chopped Red Onions
Make Vegan Kheema:
- Heat oil in a pan on medium heat, add the onions, ginger+garlic paste and cook till onions soften, about 3~5 minutes.
- Add the processed cauliflower, mashed chickpeas and cook covered till cauliflower is tender, about 8~10 minutes.
- Add tomato puree, red chili powder, ground cumin, ground coriander, garam masala and salt. Cook covered for the flavors mingle, about 8~10 minutes.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning. Serve garnished with cilantro.
Assemble Kheema Pav:
- Toast pav/ slider buns and keep ready.
- Serve the prepared kheema over toasted buns topped with green chutney, sweetened yogurt and pickled onions. Serve right away!!