I made these cute little mini lemon cupcakes for Mother’s day last weekend. It is a variation of the basic vegan vanilla cupcake recipe, but instead of vanilla flavored with lemon zest and pure lemon extract.
They turned out moist and fluffy with just the right hint of lemon. Personally I’m not a big fan of lemon flavor, but I think I’ll make an exception for these cupcakes. Recipe is from Vegan Cupcakes Take over the World.
In case you are wondering frosting is not vegan, it is whipped cream frosting. I’m going to try the popular coconut whipped cream to see how well that works, so the entire cupcake can be vegan.
Vegan Lemon Cupcakes
- 1¼ cups All purpose flour
- 2 tbsps Cornstarch
- ¾ tsp Baking powder
- ½ tsp Baking soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 cup Almond soy Milk or
- 1 tsp Apple cider Vinegar
- ¾ cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract Pure
- ½ tsp Lemon Pure extract
- 1 tbsp Lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a regular muffin pan or mini-muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Whisk soy milk and vinegar in a measuring cup and set aside for a few minutes to curdle.
- Beat together the soy milk mixture, oil, sugar, vanilla, lemon extract and lemon zest in a large bowl. Sift in the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix until no big lumps remain.
- Fill cupcake liners ⅔rds of the way full and bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and let them cool completely before frosting.