Blogging Marathon# 32: Letter W
Theme: A-Z Vegetarian Dishes of Andhra Pradesh
Dish: Wadiyala/ Vadiyala Pulusu (Sun dried Lentil Crispies Stew)
In Telugu, there is only one letter with the sound ‘va‘, so for the letters V & W I didn’t know how to choose the dishes. After thinking of all the appropriate words starting with w and the sound ‘va’ in Telugu, I decided to change the word Vadiyalu into Wadiyalu and made this lipsmacking pulusu/ stew.
This recipe is again courtesy of my mom. Every household has the tradition of making (w)vadiyalu or sun dried lentil crisps every year. My mom usually keeps me stocked up with fresh ones every time we visit India.
Wadiyala Pulusu (Sun dried Lentil Crispies Stew)
- 1 Onion - medium, thinly sliced
- 1 Tomato - medium, chopped
- 2 chilies Green - slit
- 2 tbsp Tamarind paste
- 1 tsp masala Sambar
- 1 tbsp Jaggery (optional)
- 3 tbsps Cilantro leaves - chopped
- to taste Salt
- ½ tsp Urad dal
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp Fenugreek seeds
- 2 chilies Dry red
- ¼ tsp Asafoetida / hing
- 8 - 10 Curry leaves
- Heat 2tbsp oil in a sauce pan; fry the vadiyalu until golden. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the tempering ingredients and once the seeds start to splutter, add the chopped onions and green chilies. Cook until the onions are translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Next add tomatoes and cook covered until they turn mushy. Add 2cups of water, tamarind paste, sambar powder, salt and jaggery. Bring the mixture to a boil and simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Finally just before turning off the stove, add the fried vadiyalu and chopped cilantro. Serve with steamed rice and a dry curry for a filling meal.
G for Gongura Pulihora
H for Haleem/ Vegetarian Haleem
I for Iguru/ Vankaya-Senagapappu Iguru
J for Jonna Pindi Kudumulu K for Kakarakaya Podi Kura
L for Lauju/ Laskora (Kobbari Lauju)
M for Menthi kura Pappu
N for Nuvvulu-Mamidikaya Pachadi
O for Onion Pachadi
P for Pindi Miriyam
Q for Qabooli Biryani
R for Ragi-Barley Sankati
S for Sheer Qurma
T for Thelega Pindi Kura
U for Upma-Pesarattu
V for Veg Dum Biryani