BM# 63: Journey through the Cuisines
Week 4: Kerala Cuisine
Day 25: Z for Zucchini Thoran
After discussing with Rajani about the possible zucchini dishes to make, I finally made this zucchini thoran from Kitchen Mishmash. Thoran is a very simple and basic Kerala dry curry that can be made with just about any fresh vegetable. I make cabbage thoran quite often, so I tried making zucchini thoran this time.
Zucchini being a water vegetable cooks in less than 10 minutes. Also it gets very mushy if overcooked, so better to cook it until just tender. So this is a quick and easy thoran that can be whipped up in no time. Tastes yummy when served with rice and dal.
Recipe adapted from Kitchen Mishmash:
- 2 Zucchini Medium , chopped
- ¼ cup Coconut Grated
- 1 Onion Small , chopped
- 2 ~ 3 Chilies Green , chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic , minced
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 tsps Coconut Oil
- ½ tsp seeds Mustad
- ½ tsp Urad Dal
- 1 ~ 2 Chilies Dry Red
- ¼ tsp Turmeric
- To taste Salt
- Blend coconut, onion, green chilies, garlic and cumin into a coarse paste. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and urad dal; once the seeds start to splutter, add the zucchini and turmeric. Cover and cook till zucchini is fork tender, about 6~8 minutes.
- Add the ground coconut paste, mix well and cook till it doesn't smell raw anymore, about 3~4 minutes. Season with salt and turn off the heat. Serve warm with steamed rice and dal.