Can't believe there's only 10 days left for Christmas. But the weather here has been sending quite a few signals that it is almost winter and holiday season is just around the corner. We had 2 snow storms this week and the temperatures are below freezing. Can't wait for winter to end even before it started 🙂
After that brief weather report, here's what's cooking in my house. I made this quick and easy (almost) 1 pot dish for one of our meals last week. Recipe is from a Telugu cooking show. I already have 2 cabbagerice recipes on the blog, but this one has whole garam masala spices and ground masala that gives a nice flavor to the dish.
In the original recipe, rice was cooked with the veggies in the pot making it a 1-pot dish, but I cooked the rice separately and added it to the veggies at the end. All in all it is a tasty variation to regular pulaos and can be prepared in short amount of time.
- 1 cup Rice - (I used basmati rice, but any rice can be used)
- 2 cups Cabbage - shredded
- 1 Onion - medium, thinly sliced
- 2 Tomatoes - medium, chopped
- ½ + 2 cup tbsps Mint - finely chopped
- 1 Ginger " - piece
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1 tbsp Coriander seeds
- 3 ~ 4 chilies (adjust as per taste) Green
- 2 tbsp Yogurt
- 3 2 pods garam masala cardamom cinnamon bay leaf Whole spices - cloves, , 1" stick, 1
- to taste Salt
- Wash and soak rice for at least 30 minutes.
- Cook rice till tender making sure that the grains are separate and not mushy. Set aside. Skip this step if you want to cook rice with the veggies.
- In the meantime, grind coriander seeds, ginger, garlic, green chilies, ½cup of mint and yogurt into a smooth paste. Set aside.
- Heat 2tbsp oil in a pan; add the whole garam masala spices and cook for about 1 minute or until fragrant. Next add onions and cook until the onions are slightly browned around the edges.
- Add the ground paste and cook until it does not smell raw anymore, about 2~3 minutes.
- Now add the cabbage and cook covered until tender, about 6~8 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook till they are almost mushy.
- Now add the cooked rice, salt and 2tbsp mint; mix well and cook covered for 2~3 minutes.
- If you want to make it a 1 pot dish, add uncooked rice after tomatoes are cooked along with 2 cups of water, salt and mint. Cook until all the water is absorbed and rice is tender. Pressure cooker can also be used.
- Turn off the heat and serve hot with some potato chips and yogurt.