Vegan Bread Pudding with dried fruit and homemade butterscotch sauce.
For the last day of this week’s combo desserts, I have a rich and decadent baked treat served with a sweet, creamy sauce. This bread pudding is baked with dried fruit, walnuts and homemade butterscotch sauce. The best part of this dessert is that it is 100% vegan and there’s no way you can guess that from tasting it.After I signed up for this combo dessert theme, I started looking for recipes and there were quite a few interesting ones like custard with warm pie or ice cream with chocolate cobbler or pannacotta with Gulab Jamun. But then I saw this bread pudding recipe in the same vegan cookbook that I mentioned yesterday. It sounded just perfect and I am very glad that I tried this recipe.Traditionally bread pudding is made by soaking bread in egg based custard and then baked until golden and cooked through. In this vegan version bread is soaked in a non-dairy milk (I used almond milk) base. I had a few doubts if the pudding will set or not after baking. But it set perfectly and looked almost like the traditional version.My family absolutely loved it. Butterscotch sauce makes this bread pudding extra special. It is really easy to make too - just combine all the ingredients and cook till thickened. Enjoy this bread pudding warm with some butterscotch on top. I was in carb heaven after eating a big portion of this yumminess.
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 88.
Also sending this to Valli's 'Cooking from Cookbook Challenge' - May - Week 1.
Vegan Bread Pudding with Butterscotch Sauce
For Butterscotch Sauce:
- ½ cup Vegan Butter
- ½ cup Coconut Sugar or Vegan Brown Sugar
- ½ cup Vegan Creamer (I used almond-coconut creamer)
- ½ cup Almond Milk (or other non-dairy Milk)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch or Arrowroot powder
- 6 cups French or Sourdough bread, cubed (preferably stale)
- 1 cup Dates (or dried apricots, raisins etc)
- ½ cup Walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 1¾ cups Almond Milk (or other non-dairy Milk)
- ½ cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- ¼ cup Coconut Sugar or Vegan Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Ground Nutmeg
- ¼ tsp salt
Make Butterscotch Sauce:
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the coconut sugar, creamer, non-dairy milk and agave syrup. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the vanilla and salt.
- Whisk corn syrup in 2tbsp milk; add this to the butter mixture. Whisking continuously cook for 1~2 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Turn off the heat and let the syrup cool. This can be made up to 1 week in advance and chilled in an airtight container until ready to use.
Make Bread Pudding:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a 8" square baking pan or a 8~10" cast iron skillet or 6~8 8oz. ramekins with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the bread, dates, raisins (or other dry fruit) and walnuts (if using).
- In a medium bowl, combine non-dairy milk, applesauce, coconut sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and ½cup of the butterscotch sauce. Add this mixture to the bread mixture and stir until combined. Soak for about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture into the prepared pan(s). Bake for 30~40 minutes (or 20~25 minutes for ramekins), until the top is set and beginning to turn golden brown. Remove and let cool in the pan for about 10 minutes.
- Serve with a drizzle of the remaining butterscotch sauce. Enjoy!!
Wish i get a bowl of this vegan bread pudding with that luscious butterscotch sauce, too tempting to the core.
Your version of bread pudding sounds exotic. From the pictures it is hard to tell it is vegan.
This vegan dessert sounds fabulous . The combo of bread , dry fruits and butter scotch sauce is so unique . Carb heaven ! Ha ha , I like that , very interesting !
Pavani, you are killing me with your combo desserts. This one is a winner for sure. Making a vegan bread pudding and BS sauce is really fantastic..
Rafeeda - The Big Sweet Tooth
Truly carb heaven!!! Whatever ingredients have gone in itself sounds super yum... even the butterscotch sauce sounds lipsmacking...
That dessert looks so sinful Pavani,,I have been breaking my head trying to find other combo sweets like this..hehehe..wonder why I thought it was feasible..anyway you have a good collection to check out!
OMG! this is yet another decadent dessert idea, Pavani. I haven't tried the vegan version.
Give me that bowl now.........Such a lovely dessert........And your clicks.........out of the world.........
Bread pudding with butter scotch sauce, wow, it sounds so delicious. I'm literally drooling here, the pics are awesome, now i need some sweet to satisfy my craving 🙂
Bread pudding looks sinful.Absolutely delicious one.
I have never met a bread pudding I didn't fall in love one but this one looks delicious and rich .. I bet its really full of flavors and addicting. Looks great!
Lauren @ Delicious Little Bites
I've never had a bread pudding! This looks amazing and since I love everything on the recipe list, I am going to make this soon!
Adriana Lopez Martin
I love bread pudding so comforting and good perfect to repurpose leftover bread. I need to make your vegan recipe looks easy and so tasty yummy!
Oh, the classic bread pudding with butterscotch sauce. Love the sound of this. And you made it vegan. I know someone who would feast on this recipe. Going to share it with here soon. Sounds yum!
I've never made bread pudding! Every time I see it though I think of my sweet Father-in-law. He loved it. I would make bread for him -- he liked that too but I never made that dessert. Your recipe sounds delicious!! I'm going to have to make some so I can see why he was so crazy about it.
What a different but very delicious bread and butter pudding.I could see this being a great hit with my kids
Carb heaven is exactly what i was thinking about while reading your recipe! Easy , delicious and vegan too!
If I could eat this right now I would as I am a bread pudding fan.
What a delicious recipes! I love that you added walnuts and dates and the flavors have to be exquisite! Beautiful recipe and gorgeous pics... super warm and comforting!
This vegan brad pudding looks absolutely delicious! What a wonder combo of flavors! And your pics are even more tempting!!